Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Things That Piss Me Off Tuesday - the this election is a sham edition

I wasn't going to write today, but then I got online this morning and saw a few things that told me I was wrong. I am writing.

So there.


This is some next level victim blaming....
This past weekend, a mother of 3 from Washington disappeared after going on a date with a man she met online. News broke this morning that body parts were found in a recycling container, though they haven't made a positive identification yet. It appears they've found her.

A 37 year old man was arrested in connection with the discovery.

And you might already be able to guess where I'm going with this....

Instead of being appalled at the crime that appears to have been committed here, instead of being disgusted that there are predators like this out there in the world who wouldn't just kill someone but chop them up into little pieces, instead of expressing concern for her kids....people online have condemned her to death because she met up with a guy from the internet.

Wait. What???

Yes, this is actually happening in the comment section of every page and website running this story. There are people who expect this woman to have saved her own life by never meeting anyone from the internet rather than expecting whoever killed her to NOT KILL HER. So, it's her fault.

I bet that if it is discovered that she was also raped, we should probably bash her for whatever she was wearing too, because god knows that these men certainly can't control themselves when there are women to rape and murder and chop up into pieces.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with this society?

What happens when you actually go back and watch movies or read books critically....
This one is likely to ruffle a few feathers, so go grab your pitchforks. I'll wait.

I read some of The Jungle Book Stories with the kids last week in preparation for the new version of the movie being released this week. Re-reading some of these books that I loved as a child now as an adult has rattled my cage more than a little bit, I have to say. Now, I'm more critical. I ask questions. I get angry at the portrayals of races and genders. I bristle at the assumptions made by the author, of the biases and the stereotypes. This book is full of them, let me tell you.

But that wasn't enough....nooooooo....we had to go and watch the animated Disney version of The Jungle Book and holy shit, you guys. I was sort of prepared to want to throw things at the television, but I wasn't really prepared for just how awful it was.

There are only three female characters in the movie, the main of which, Mama Wolf, was voiced by a man because of course she was voiced by a man. The mother elephant is disregarded, talked down to, yelled at and/or ignored...then her son comes along and says all the same things she does and his father stops and listens and complies. WHAT.

That's not even the worst part (I mean, aside from the racist King Louie thing and the whole underlying issue of the song I wanna be like you)...but at the end of the movie when he sees the little girl for the first time, they tell him she's trouble.

GREAT MESSAGE DISNEY THANKS.

Then she sings a cute little song about how she has to get the water because she's the girl and someday she'll have a husband to do the man things and she'll stay home and cook and then she'll have a daughter to get the water.

***bangs head on wall

I almost don't even want to go see the new version at this point, but I'm going to try, if for nothing else than to point out whatever subtle or not-so-subtle racism, classism, imperialism and sexism is in this one.

Rawr.

Viruses and allergies and rashes, oh my!
My poor baby is covered in rashes, a few different ones, in varying degrees of healing. He had a particularly bad case of hand, foot and mouth disease a few weeks ago which he still isn't totally done peeling from. Really, we need to call it what it is.

He's molting.

My baby is molting.

As if that wasn't enough, he already had underlying eczema which has been extremely aggravated by the HFM and has now shown up in patches all over his little body.

Then, last week, he finally got his first dose of the MMR (If you're going to start in on me about vaccines in any way, lemme just stop you right there. He didn't have the dose at a year because he was running a fever and he's a well documented reactor when it comes to vaccines. He will be caught up with the schedule soon, though. If you want to tell me whatever your opinions are about the dangers of vaccines, know that I'm sticking my fingers directly in my ears and yelling lalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you. On purpose. I have studied epidemiology quite extensively and am very familiar with the risk and benefits of vaccines. Don't argue with someone who has a background in public health about this stuff.) Deep breath. Anyway, he got his MMR last week, and is having the rash reaction to that too.

On top of all the other stuff.

My poor bebe. I just want him to not be polka dotted and itchy for a little bit.

The 2016 three ring circus that we call an election
SO MANY THINGS I want to say here, but for the purposes of brevity, I'm making this short bulleted list of a few points.

  • Bill needs to stop trying to help his wife.
  • Bill and Hillary need to stop trying to talk down to the #BLM movement. 
  • The wonder of our system is that each party in every state does the primary/caucus thing differently, which this year looks an awful lot like 100+ different ways to screw up. 
  • This election is going to piss off a lot of people in both major parties because of the way that delegates are being awarded. And it's only going to get worse. A lot worse.
  • We need to let go of the idea that we can only function as a two party system. There is far more variety than that allows and the two party system is a complete disaster anyway.
  • The media should be more equal about the time they give, positively and negatively, to the candidates. They are supposed to do that, but it's not even close this year.
  • Trump needs to remember that this thing called the internet exists and you can't just ignore everything you've ever done or said in the past because you're trying to convince people you're a conservative now.
  • Fact checking memes should be required before posting online.

2 comments:

Some of My Most Popular Posts