Thursday, March 10, 2016

Homemade Beard Balm DIY Recipe and Instructions

Do you have a beard? Do you love someone with a beard? You want that beard to be soft and manageable? You want it to smell glorious and glisten in the sunlight like a magical unicorn's mane?

Well, lucky for you, you have come to the right place.

I'm here to make your dreams come true, people.

Homemade Beard Balm
My husband has been growing his beard for a few years now. Much to his dismay, I like it long. He obliges. The longer the beard, though, the more unruly it can become. The hair is thicker and courser, tends to be wiry and have a mind of its own left untamed.

Tame that beard, gentlemen.

You can buy balms and oils commercially, of course. They're generally pretty pricey and it can take your some trial and error to find one that has the right consistency for your beard. The last time he started to run low, I offered to try and make it at home. The ingredients are more pricey upfront, but will make quite a few batches, saving a ton of money in the long run.

He's not shaving this beard off for a long time.

Anyway, enough of the celebration of the beard. Let's get to the instructions.

Homemade Beard Balm

  • 4 ounces coconut oil
  • 1 ounce jojoba oil
  • 2 ounces cocoa butter
  • 1 ounce beeswax
  • Essential oils of your choice - Mix and blend whatever you want. It's your beard. 

Using a double boiler or a large heavy pot on very low, melt the beeswax first, then the cocoa butter. The coconut oil melts at a much lower temperature and takes less to liquefy, so add that and the jojoba oil after the beeswax and cocoa butter are melted. Stir constantly and do not allow the oil to boil or bubble at all. It takes a while for the beeswax to melt, especially if you are using a bar. Pellets do melt faster, if you opt to use those. 


Once all your base oils and wax are melted, you can opt to add essential oils as well. If you don't, your beard will smell like a mysterious chocolate candy store because of the cocoa butter. If that's your thing, don't add any essential oils.

I opted to add about 10 drops of sandalwood oil for this batch, but will be grabbing some hop oil and more citrus oils as well so that my husband's beard can smell like the beer he brews. Yes.

Once all the scents are added and mixed in completely, pour it carefully into storage containers. It will thicken as it cools, and takes about 18-24 hours to thicken completely. You could get some fancy tins or reuse other empty balm tins if you have some. I put it into tiny mason jars because I use them for everything (I can hear my husband rolling his eyes from here right now).


I don't have a beard, so I can't honestly tell you how this works...but according to my dude and his long beard, it's pretty fantastic. The consistency is fairly thick once it sets up, so you have to scoop out a bit and warm it between your hands for a second before rubbing it into the beard.

If your beard could talk, it would say, "Moisturize me."

Please tell me you get the reference.

Happy balm making and beard rubbing to all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna make this for my hubby!! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely get your Doctor Who reference ��
    Also I'm totally making this for the boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts