Friday, March 11, 2016

Breastmilk Eczema Baby Lotion DIY Recipe and Instructions

My one year old has recently developed fairly severe eczema, maybe even worse than his older sister had at his age. This is the worst part of the year seasonally for the allergy sufferers in the house, so I'm guessing we've passed that on down to him too.

I've exhausted the usual suspects in terms of lotions and creams and ointments. Not only are none of them
working, many of them have actually made it worse.


I decided to try and make up a batch of breastmilk lotion to see if that helped. It is a magic cure for so many other rashes and ailments that I figured it was worth a shot.

When I put this on his face for the first time, he smiled and giggled. Usually, when I put anything on the eczema he screams and rubs his cheeks. I'm sure that it was hurting or at least stung. This lotion didn't sting at all, and he actually gets excited when I get the jar out of the fridge now. Within a few hours of the first application, it started to clear up, and one of his cheeks is almost healed completely after just a couple of days.

There are a lot of other ingredients that you could add to this recipe if you wanted, depending on the sensitivity level of the person intending to use it. Knowing he's prone to allergies (and that I have a history of skin allergies in particular), I opted not to add anything beyond the basic ingredients.

This recipe could absolutely be used by anyone suffering from eczema, not just the little ones. It does thicken quite a bit in the fridge, so when you use it, just scoop out a teeny bit and warm it up between your hands before applying.



Here's the receipe!

Breastmilk Eczema Baby Lotion

  • 1 tbsp beeswax
  • 2 ounces jojoba oil
  • 3 ounces breastmilk
Melt the beeswax in a double boiler, then stir in the oil. Do not boil. Whisk the milk in, a little at a time. It will thicken very quickly, and you want to whisk constantly to make sure everything combines together well. Pour into containers and store in the fridge. 

I used small mason jars, and expect that we'll use it all up long before it would have any chance to go bad. 

6 comments:

  1. With his allergies, the beeswax didn't bother him? I'm looking to make some lotion for my little one and am worried about the beeswax. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious to know why you chose to use jojoba oil vs coconut? Also have you ever used or added essential oils like lavender or frankincense to help treat you child eczema? What type of eczema does he have?

    My 21month old son just got diagnosed with this and I'm looking for solutions to treat his hands and feet. Thanks F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No real reason, honestly. It's a trial and error thing, and what works best will probably vary for everyone.

      Delete

Some of My Most Popular Posts