Saturday, January 23, 2016

2016 Summer Reading Challenge List

Yeah, I'm aware of the fact that it is only January. Honest.

This is the fourth year that I've written up our list and shared it with you all. I hope that you'll enjoy the books I've chosen this time around.


This year, I've been fairly deliberate in my selections. I wanted half of the books read to have been written by women. I wanted to expose the children to different perspectives as well, and narrowing down the list wasn't easy this time around.

Most of the books chosen have, at some point, been made into movies as well. We like to read the books, then watch the films and compare the two.

As we get closer to the summer, I will add more details about the books and movies, what our actual schedule will be with reading them, as well as places to find them. For the moment, though, I wanted to get the list out there so that people will have ample time to locate the books. I've started hunting for them myself at the used book stores and thrift stores. Check used book stores, check the used books on Amazon, check your collections at home, ask friends if they might have copies you can borrow. Libraries are also a great resource if the books are available at the time you need to borrow them. One of my favorite places to pick up books is at the friends of the library sale section, where used books are available to purchase for a few dollars, and all proceeds go to the library.

Here are the books selected this year.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Ken Kesey

Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, Sherman Alexie

The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison

James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl

A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L’Engle

My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou

The Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank

Shakespeare - Julius Cesar, Othello, Taming of the Shrew (subject to change)

Poetry by Emily Dickinson/Walt Whitman/Shel Silverstein/Sara Teasdale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts