Monday, September 14, 2015

Boldly Going Where Others Have Already Gone

I haven't been around here much lately, and if I'm being entirely honest, I don't know how much time I'll have to write in the near-ish future.

This weekend, the baby figured out how to stand up without hanging on to anything, so now he'll be walking and running more than sitting and crawling. He actually did it for the first time when all of us, including his grandparents, were watching, which was pretty cool.

He's not the only reason, though.

Last week, I pulled Mini Me and Little Boy out of public school. I'll be homeschooling them primarily with a supplemental program through the district that they will attend once a week. At this point, I'm largely constructing my own curriculum for each of them since they're both unconventional learners.

First day of school, round two.
That whole unconventional learner thing is why we're here, by the way.

Public school isn't designed to deal with the kids who don't fit into the boxes they demand. These kids don't fit easily or well. They ooze out the sides and jump out of the top, push their feet through the bottom.

I've been a bit overwhelmed with this initial transition. We talked about this for a long time before we did it, involved the kids in the decision. This isn't a snap judgment or a quick reaction, nothing specific happened that precipitated the move. If I'm being honest, it's been a long time coming. A very long time.

The first day at the supplemental program, I pulled into the parking lot, a little unsure of what to expect. I was surrounded almost immediately by families that told me I'd made the right call. Quirky kids. Babywearing moms. Beat up minivans with 3, 4, 5 kids jumping out of them. There was even a dog that escaped from a car running around the parking lot.

It felt like home. A home I hadn't even realized I was missing.

This wasn't a decision rooted in religion. We aren't trying to shield or protect the kids from anything. I have a background in education. They'll be socialized sufficiently.

We aren't giving in to them or letting them manipulate us. We know that they have challenges that other kids don't have, we know that they need to learn coping mechanisms as they grow up to deal with a world that doesn't know how to deal with them.

And that's part of what they will be learning here at home.

(I'm trying to think of all the things people have brought up in the wake of this decision...)

Basically, I trust my abilities to teach them. My husband trusts my abilities to teach them. That's really all that matters right now.

It just means that I won't be writing as much for a while, at least not in this capacity.

I have a feeling that you all will understand. xo

1 comment:

  1. Do what you gotta...I'm going to miss your posts, though!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts