Friday, March 27, 2015

About this parenting thing...

I'm actually going to do it, you guys.

I'm actually going to write this book.



I spent quite a while outlining it yesterday and started on a few of the chapters.

I've been asked quite a few times to write a book on parenting, and so that's just what I'll do. My goal is to write a practical book with realistic advice for parents based on my years of experience and observation. It will be real and honest and funny, and hopefully, it will be useful.

Here's your chance to tell me what you wish you'd known when you started having your kids!

It's possible that I will start the book with pregnancy and go all the way through the teenage years, but I may opt to begin with birth rather than discussing all the pregnancy and childbirth related topics....unless you think that would be valuable information to include.

I was talking with a friend about this, and it's likely that the book will have a slight slant in the direction of gentle parenting, just since that is the way I lean.

My primary goal, though, is to avoid doing what most of the parenting books out there tend to do - preach. I'm not a preacher. I'm not ever going to tell you that one way is the right way. I'm not ever going to tell you that there is one way to raise a child.

Every parent is different.
Every child is different.
Every family unit is different.
Every situation is different.

I'm planning to share what we've learned over the years, what worked for us and what didn't and what we wish we had known.

Here are some of the topics I have been asked to talk specifically about:

- baby gear you actually need and everything you don't
- navigating public school when your child doesn't fit the mold
- parenting children with mental health concerns and being a parent with issues of my own
- realistic advice for nursing newborns
- adjusting to the second (or fifth...) baby
- sleep strategies
- making baby food
- documenting milestones/photography tips
- babywearing and cloth diapering
- working with reluctant readers
- tips to manage adhd
- talking to teenagers about the "hard stuff"
- fostering independence

Are there any other specific issues you'd like to read about?

AHHHHHH!!!

This is actually going to happen you guys.

1 comment:

Some of My Most Popular Posts