Friday, February 13, 2015

Things That Piss Me Off Friday - the yeah, it's late edition...

Hi.

This is late. I know. I was just going to skip TTPMOT this week because the anniversary of my father's death happened to fall on Tuesday this week, but then so many things have happened that I need to rage about a little bit. So here we are. On Friday. The 13th.


Dun dun dun.

Off we go.

Welcome back to the 1950s (or some other disturbing time before that)
When it was just a very Christian woman writing about how she wasn't going to wear leggings anymore because she didn't want to stir up the sexy time feelings in men, I stepped back from all the online arguing and scrolled on by.

Look. If you want to wear teeny booty shorts or you want to wear turtlenecks and plaid jumpers that go all the way to your ankles, I don't give a shit.

Truly. I don't care what your reasons are, I don't care what your belief systems are that dictate why you are wearing whatever it is that you deem appropriate. I don't.

Wear whatever you want. Write whatever blog posts you want about it. I don't care.

I think it's hella presumptuous to imply that men may not be able to contain their hormones around you in spandex, not to mention a vast insult to men in general. I think it's dangerous to imply that women should somehow be held responsible for how their attire makes other people feel/act/respond.

I didn't get involved in the debates for a few reasons, not the least of which is that as far as I can tell, the most recent leggings are spandex sexy tools of satan post was really only written from one writer's perspective about what she was doing. She wasn't telling the rest of the world to do anything. She wasn't.

And, again, I don't care.

What I totally give a shit about, though, is all the other stuff related to leggings and yoga pants going on. I'm so far beyond frustrated about the public school dress codes, about how certain girls are called out and others aren't, about how adults have no qualms teaching adolescent girls that their bodies are distracting, about how there is this assumption that boys cannot be taught to respect girls, about all of it. It makes me sick.

What I also totally give a shit about is the fact that there is actually an elected representative trying to ban yoga pants in public. His attempts failed because the whole idea is asinine, but the fact that there are people out there who honestly believe that they can dictate to women what is and is not appropriate attire indicates that there is something really wrong with our society.

Speaking of which...
The Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal on a sex discrimination case this week where a woman was forced out of a job over breastfeeding.

The reason?

(and no, I'm totally not making this shit up)

Men can lactate.

Since men can lactate, it's not sex discrimination.

Oh thank goodness. I guess this means Mr. Hive can finally help out with those 2a.m. feedings.

For fucks sake.

This is the craziest thing I've read in a long time. Yes, men are mammals. Yes, men are technically half female. Yes, men have nipples and some mammary tissue. Yes, it's theoretically possible for men to lactate.

Just because something may be remotely possible doesn't mean that it actually fucking happens.

I just can't even.

What happened to the news?
A lot has been said about Brian Williams in the past week, about his embellishment of stories, his insertion of personal bits into the news, about misremembering things, whatever that is.

Something different than lying, we're supposed to believe.

The news hasn't been the news in such a long time that his suspension shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone who has been paying attention.

The news has been packaged and delivered as entertainment, which it isn't supposed to be.

We need people to report facts, not anecdotes.

We need people to ask questions, not display biases.

I'm disappointed, but not shocked.

We need to care less about the personality sitting behind the desk and more about their integrity.

What irritates me the most about the entire situation is that Williams will be held over the fire for this, but the people who have lied to the American public over much greater things will likely never be held accountable. His lies, as egregious as they were, didn't send us to war, didn't endanger the lives of our soldiers, didn't cost billions of dollars. His lies fed his ego and his pocketbook, padded the ratings of his employer.

His career is effectively over. Many people believe that the suspension and likely firing are an overreaction, but I don't. We need journalists to take their jobs seriously and to hold truth above all else.

And we, the public, need to demand it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the debate/discussion/arguments about what women should or shouldn't wear and the how's and whys of those decisions. I don't really care, it's so unimportant to me that each time it comes up I quote blatantly ignore it all.

    And although I'm where you are in terms of experience when it comes to young girls/ffemales and dress codes and the stigma and underlying teachings surrounding that, I get it. Its not as far on my consciousness these days, likely because I'm not dealing with it (yet) and because I disagree with most all of it anyway.

    B it what is this absurdity about men being able to lactate therefore a set discrimination argument won't be heard!! That just pisses me off because it's so darn ridiculous. :(

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts