Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Things That Piss Me Off Tuesday - the sleep deprivation Ebola czar edition

Yawn. Hi.

It's after 3 p.m. and I just opened the computer for the first time, if that's any indication of how today is going so far.

I haven't been getting much sleep lately, not that I'd necessarily have expected that I should be at this point with a five week old. In the last week or so, though, it seems like he has developed reflux. And when I say it seems like he has developed reflux, what I really mean is that he's a barf machine. A cranky barf machine. He smells, I smell, all the clothes and sheets and blankets and burp cloths are getting barfed on.

If you happen to see us out in public somewhere and I resemble a zombie, appear covered in curdled milk...that's why.

Seriously though, I just hope that he's still gaining weight with the amount that he's not keeping down.


I'm not watching much news at this point, mostly because almost all of the news cycle seems to be dedicated to Ebola fear mongering, and that's not my thing. The schools closing and putting employees on leave are making me crazy. I saw an article today that a college is actually refusing admission to students from Nigeria over this whole thing.

In a lot of ways, this irrational fear isn't a whole lot different than in the early portion of the AIDS crisis. Except that back then, the President was in denial that the disease even existed, people assumed they couldn't get it if they weren't gay.

These days, the President isn't in denial at all. The whole situation hasn't been handled splendidly, but it's certainly not elevated to the level of full blown denial like Reagan did. There isn't enough funding for disease research, but that isn't a new problem and it isn't something Obama has anything to do with. We still don't have a Surgeon General, and this "crisis" hasn't lit a fire under the Senate's ass to get on with the confirmation hearings.

The reason Dr. Murthy hasn't been confirmed, and likely won't be any time soon, has nothing to do with Ebola or any disease for that matter. It has to do with the fact that he believes that guns and the deaths caused by guns in this country are a public health problem.

And he's right.

Over 30,000 people were killed by guns last year. 

Ebola has killed one person here in the United States so far.

So, let's just get this straight. Because this doctor believes that something directly involved in the deaths of thousands of people every year is a legitimate public health issue, he hasn't been confirmed, leaving a vacancy in the office. As a result, since we don't have a sitting Surgeon General, we've now invented the position of Ebola czar to deal with a "crisis" that thus far extends to three diagnosed cases.

The guy tagged, Ron Klain? Yeah, he doesn't have a health care background at all. 

Someone want to explain this to me?

Never mind.

--------

I got this far before the baby decided I was done writing for the day. So, that's all I'm going to have time to be pissed off about today. What about you? What's pissing you off this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts