Thursday, September 4, 2014

Random Rushed Thoughts About Back to School on a Thursday Morning

I don't have a ton of time to write today. This week is almost over, thank goodness. I'm clearly not back in the school year swing of things yet, have managed to schedule appointments that overlap more than once for this week and am currently debating the likelihood that my two younger children and I all survive to the bell ringing this morning.

It's been a day. Already.

I can't just scream UNCLE at 8:15 though.

I mean, I guess I could. That would be awesome. But I have too much to do because of all that poor scheduling I mentioned up there.

Anyhow, it's been a weird week.

Holiday weeks always throw me off, the beginning of the school year always throws me off. Toss in trying to adapt to a second kid in middle school who sees the world completely differently than her older sibling and pregnancy fog brain, and you have a hot damn mess.

I have one child who has been screaming like a banshee since 6:45. She yells because she doesn't want to get up early, then proceeds to spend almost the entire next two hours screwing around. She wonders why I have to get her up so early, but it's pretty obvious. It takes her that long just to function at the most basic level.

She's up, she's down, she's pissed, she's excited, she's worried, she's all of this and about 673 more emotions all at the same time and it's too damn early and I only get one cup of coffee these days and it isn't enough. Clearly.

They wonder why I make them get their lunches together at night....

The fact that I can get this one on the bus in actual clothes is a freaking miracle sometimes. Of course, that's only because she knows I'll totally send her in her pajamas.

Her little brother isn't helping. He rarely does. He can get up, eat, get dressed and be ready to go in exactly 3 minutes if he isn't distracted by her.

IF.

He's a follower. A realllllllly good follower. Life of a younger sibling, I suppose.

When he is distracted by her, which is almost always, things rapidly spiral out of control in the morning.

It's a good thing the other two have already left the house by this point, or I'd lose my damn mind.

You see, The Oldest likes to play 20 questions. Every day. First thing. It's like his brain is constantly going, constantly asking questions, and it assumes that I know all the answers to all the things.

This morning he woke up asking me about the fourth dimension.

What the hell? It's too early for this, child. For serious.

He is constantly asking me crazy questions like that, but can't seem to remember to charge his phone. Or to put on pants. Or to turn in the homework he finished.

I'm pretty sure his head would float away on the daily if it wasn't actually attached.

At the polar opposite end of the spectrum, his sister. She's been in middle school for days. Literally. And she's got her act together more than he's figured out in over two years. She's organized, almost to an obsessive level. She's constantly on top of deadlines and requirements and paperwork and assignments. She worries incessantly about every.single.thing.

.....and she totally gets it from her mother.
It is to the point that we have to still sometimes grab her face like when she was little and sit her down and remind her to breathe and tell her that the outcome of her life isn't going to hinge on whether she gets the app downloaded onto the school issued iPad tonight. Honest.

How are all of you out there in the internets adjusting to school being back in session? Please tell me that I'm not the only one losing my mind on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I bet we are at the same middle school. We couldn't get the app to download either!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts