Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Curriculum, Week 5


Week 5, June 23-29

I decided to change some of this week up, so it is a little different than planned. We will not be reading the Nellie Bly book right now.

Books: This week, The Oldest is away at summer camp so I am actually reading two books, one with each of the girls. Freckles (11) and I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Mini Me and I will be reading The Curse of Maleficent: A Tale of a Sleeping Beauty, by Elizabeth Rudnick.




Movies: I am taking Freckles to see FIOS today in the theater and my inlaws are planning to take Mini Me to see Maleficent in the theater next week.

Science: We are focusing on plant and animal cell biology this week, learning the basic components of a cell and how animal and plant cells are different. We will also be talking a bit about oceanography, as the kids had the opportunity to take part in a webinar this morning hosted by Mission 31. Mission 31 is a project of Fabian Cousteau's to study life under the sea and film it in a way it has never been filmed before.

We happen to have a very basic cheap microscope here at the house that was a part of a kid's science kit. It works pretty good for our purposes. The icell app is a great tool as well.


Writing: Both of the girls will be doing some creative writing this week based on the prompt of, "If I was an only child..."

Project: We will be constructing a river in the sand in the backyard since we didn't get to it last week. This blog has some really cute ideas, including how to build a foil river.  We will also be experimenting with tinting flowers and celery to find out how plants transfer nutrients.

Trip: I'm hoping to get to the Botanical Gardens this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts