Friday, May 30, 2014

Summer School of Rock ~ Rush

Now, before I start this post, I have a confession to make. I haven't always loved Rush.

My husband, on the other hand, has adored them for pretty much his entire life.

They grew on me, but it took a while. Being subjected to hours and hours on end of Rush probably contributed.


My initial goal with this project was to spend one month showcasing the most influential 31 bands/artists in rock. I got sidetracked because of things that happened and didn't get a chance to finish it, but then I realized that it was never meant to be done. There are so many more than 31 worthy mentions that this could go on indefinitely. 

So here we are. 

SHARE THE MUSIC YOU LOVE WITH YOUR KIDS. It totally pays off when you catch your 11 year old daughter singing along to The Wall

If you'd like to read about some of the other bands and artists I've already covered, I will link them by name at the end. 

Up today, that band I hated that grew on me...Rush.

Rush
I know, I know, I know. Some of you out there are wondering how someone who claims to love rock music as much as I do could have had a hard time loving this one. I have no explanation for you, honestly. As I have aged, though, I have a greater appreciation for them, and even if it took me a while to get here, I got here. So there.

That's all that matters, right?


Here is one of Peart's more famous drum solos, if you've never had the pleasure before. (It starts around 3:15)


Their first album was released in 1974 and they built an audience fairly quickly based on their complicated instrument harmonies and use of newer technologies. They began to utilize keyboards and electronic style music far earlier than most bands did. All members of the band are held out to be some of the best players of their instruments in all of music, and rightfully so. They are immensely talented people. 


Nominated for Grammys multiple times, they've never won, but were inducted into both the Canadian and US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Their lyrics have always been fairly heavily influenced by science fiction and fantasy literature, which just made them more well loved by many people.



As they've aged, their music has evolved. It was darker and harder in the beginning, then they went through a long period where different genres were incorporated. Now they've adopted a more acoustic sound and have moved back to a guitar focus.


Still together after all this time, they completed the Clockwork Angels tour last year...they still sound amazing. The clip above is from 2007.

The earlier bands in the series, in no particular order:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts