Thursday, May 8, 2014

Fantasy Fandom Nerd Island, second edition

So, I wrote up all these islands a while back and one of the many islands in my archipelago is the Nerd Island. I think I called it a dork island last time around. Some of the guests will be invited back, some will be booted from the island.

This one, I am most definitely going to pull the "I do what I want" card, most likely expanding the size of this particular island.

Off we go, in no particular order.


1. Lynda Carter.

Because she is Wonder Woman. She will probably be Wonder Woman forever. She's bringing the costume and I'm bringing mine and we will run around the island fighting for truth, justice and freedom together.



I've had a crush on this woman for basically my entire life. When I was a little girl, I lived in my Wonder Woman underoos (no, there aren't pictures....or if there are, I don't have them). I didn't just want to be Wonder Woman, I wanted to be her.

As an adult, I have a much deeper appreciation for the character. After attending Comic Con and sitting in on a panel about her last year, I fell even more in love. I wrote about it here if you'd like to read it. Lynda revealed publicly that she struggles with alcoholism, and for that she gets a high five. It takes a lot of courage and strength to be willing to talk about these issues, to be willing to open herself up to all the commentary and criticism in the world.

2. Mayim Bialik.

Yeah, I loved her back when she was Blossom. Are there people who didn't???

I think I love her more now as Amy Farrah Fowler, the awkward genius in a bizarre relationship with an even more awkward genius on The Big Bang Theory.

From her website.
And, if we're being completely honest, I love the real Mayim more than any of the characters she has ever played. She's smart, she's grounded, she's self deprecating, she's funny, she's honest and she's real. All of my favorite things.

She is a writer too and hosts her own website, writing about just about anything that she feels compelled to talk about.

She is an outspoken advocate for attachment parenting (so am I), she's an extended breastfeeding mama (so am I), she's a vegan but understands that not everyone else ever will be (I love bacon). She isn't selling an agenda, even when she's selling her cookbooks. She's a woman who gets it, she knows that there is a way to share how she does things, how she lives her life, how she chooses to raise her children, and do it all without being preachy about any of it. She really embraces the idea of women empowering and supporting other women without judgment. I just adore her.

3. Danica McKellar

Winnie, Winnie, Winnie.

She's been adorable for so many decades that it shouldn't be legal. She's goofy as hell and a math nerd in real life, which I love. I'm getting at least one of her math books this summer for my daughter as she heads into middle school.

From her website.
I was so thrilled when I realized that she was on Dancing with the Stars this season, and we threw a family-wide fit when she was eliminated this week. Unlike the, ahem, mean girl on the show this season who will not be named, she doesn't whine about how hard things are, she doesn't complain, she doesn't beg for votes. I sooooo wanted her to be in the finals.

Sad face.

What I love the most about her is that she is an actual certifiable genius. She invented a physics/math theorem that is named for her. She's taken her passion for math and channeled it into a series of books aimed at tween girls to get them to fall in love (and stay in love) with math. 

Smart women of the world, unite.

4. Bill Nye.

I've loved this quirky guy since all the way back in his Bill Nye the Science Guy days. 

From his website.
He proves that it is entirely possible to get kids interested in science fairly easily and to keep them that way. He is one of the most outspoken advocates for science education in schools today, which is why he agreed to debate Ken Ham about evolution v. creationism a few months back.

Did you guys watch the debate????

I have a whole new level of respect for him after that went down. I don't think I could have ever maintained his calmness they way he did. 

He's on what sometimes seems like a one man mission to take on the political establishment, particularly on the topic of climate change. He refuses to tolerate the manipulation of facts being done by those in positions of power. 

We need more Bill Nyes. Desperately.

5. George R.R. Martin.

I get the sense that he's like a lot of the writers I know. Quirky, sleep deprived, a totally stressed out procrastinator that probably drinks too much. 

Just a guess.

Also, he looks like he should be a sea captain.
Scallywags.
I think we'd get along just fine.

Mostly, I want to sit him down and ask him what the hell is going to happen to my favorite characters. HE'D BETTER NOT KILL THEM. I won't spoil anything for those of you still reading the books, but goddamn. I just finished A Dance with Dragons.

The next book is slated to come out sometime next year and we can't wait George. Tick tock.

6. Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Oh, this man. He forced me to expand the island, but that's okay because he's busy expanding all of our minds by teaching us about the ever expanding universe right now on Cosmos.


That show. SO good.

Anyhow, he's an astrophysicist who seems determined to force us all to learn, dammit. I love that about him.

Perhaps his greatest gift is that he, as well as Michio Kaku (who also gets invited), has this uncanny ability to describe almost everything in terms that anyone could understand, which is vital to education in subjects as complicated as those he discusses. He's not just a genius, he's the kind of guy that you'd want up to bat for you in court, he's the kind of guy you'd want to a have a drink with. He calls it like he sees it, without hesitation or apology. If you haven't seen this video, you must. 


7. Michio Kaku.

He's a theoretical physicist who could make a rock think. He is one of my most favorite geniuses, for just about all the same reasons as NDT.


These guys are the rock stars of science, trying every single day to educate us about things we absolutely need to learn if we are going to survive as a species. 

Just to get a few minutes to pick his brain...

Yeah, he's on the island. For sure.

2 comments:

  1. This island is AWESOME. When can I come visit??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kacy. Let's get a tour booked.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts