Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Forty Days of Purging Crap

Lent is upon us, folks.

Though I consider myself a recovering Catholic most days, an Ecumenical one on others and a fan of Pope Francis so far, I don't go to church.

I haven't been to an Ash Wednesday service in at least five years.

Even still, I always participate in Lent, mostly because discipline is always a good thing, particularly if we do it to better ourselves or to help others.

I don't necessarily buy into the whole thumb of God supervising us thing, must eat fish thing or must never slip because Jesus never slipped thing. I happen to think Jesus wouldn't have cared if you like steak or chocolate, and he'd be the first to forgive you if you cave one day and do the thing you say you won't.

So, there's that.

I've taught my kids to practice Lent the same way I do. Use it as a way to do good things, whether for yourself or for others.

Clearly related to me, The Oldest gave up forks a few years ago. I'm not kidding. He actually made it the whole 40 days too.


This year, him and his sister wanted to give up meat...until their father brought two racks of baby back ribs home, that is.

This Lent, I've already had to give up just about everything I would ordinarily forgo, which is fine. I saw a post floating around Facebook yesterday about getting rid of clutter, 40 bags in 40 days, and I was all over it.

With 6 people in this house, we have a lot of crap. Too much crap. Their rooms are bad enough, and I'm hoping to get at least 2 bags per kid out in the 40 days.

My basement is scary, because it is the catch-all for whatever we don't want to see in the rest of the house, plus the remnants of whatever my mother bought and left behind. She was a hoarder, and it overflowed everywhere she went. A lot of it landed here and I just haven't been able to deal with it until now. 40 bags might make a dent. Maybe.

I have been meaning to tackle the basement since the floods hit last year and I spent an entire day with my son's Boy Scout troop cleaning out a flooded basement. You know what they say about good intentions, right???  You just close the door. Out of sight, out of mind.

Well, that's not going to work anymore. I need to get this house in order, and to do it, I need to get rid of a lot of crap. Clutter makes me crazy. Literally.

We start today. One bag at a time.

Pick a room to focus on each day so that it isn't overwhelming. Play some good music. Unearth treasures. Have a good cry. Streamline. Organize.

Let's do this thing. Who is with me???

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea. I am going to do this too. I could get rid of one bag a day easily. 40 bags of crap out of my house would be amazeballs. I already feel some relief just imagining it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea. I made my lenient cleaning schedule yesterday answer it starts tomorro-too much going on today. Each room in the house gets a week. gently purging cabinets one day, washing the windows the next. Keep us posted as what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome idea!
    Giving up forks? That kid is a genius! I bet it was a riot.
    If I had a basement it would be an abyss so instead I've taken over the garage. My hubby would be thrilled if I hauled 40 bags of anything away from our house. I'm going to have to get some heavy duty bags ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It won't be an easy task but Lent is not supposed to be easy. You and your family will get it done.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts