Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Writer's Workshop Wednesday ~ Sarah from The Sadder But Wiser Girl

Welcome to Writer's Workshop Wednesday!  This is my way of paying it forward to all the people out there who want to start writing, but don't have their own blogs yet, or who are established writers that are looking to appeal to a different audience. I have also opened this up to those who would like to post anonymously about topics that are too difficult to write about publicly. Each week, I will host one or two posts by different writers.

I hope that you enjoy this series, I hope you find some new writers to follow, I hope this helps them out and I hope we can all learn something from them.

Today's piece is by fellow blogger/mom/ADHD queen, Sarah Almond. She writes over at The Sadder But Wiser Girl. I can't even tell you how many times she's posted a blog or a status and I'm sitting over here nodding my head because I get it. Oh my do I get it. She's funny and genuine, she's kind and considerate, she's quirky and awesome. 

You can find her on Facebook here and on her blog here. With love and respect, I give you Sarah.

I'm Tired-A Guest Post By Sarah Almond 

As movie buffs, we watch a lot of movies in our house. We often catch ourselves quoting certain movies often throughout the day, as well as singing songs from some of them. One song in particular that I find myself singing lately is from the movie Blazing Saddles. 


Madeline Kahn, one of my favorite funny females, gets up to sing her number. She sings about being tired. Why is that? While I’m not tired in the context that she sings about, I find it hysterical. 

As a mom, wife, and female, I can so relate to this. 

Right now it’s 11:45 in the morning and I can’t even keep my eyes open! 

No, I’m not a new mom. I don’t have babies keeping me up half the night. I’m not chasing after an active toddler. I have two children-one is an eight year old boy with ADD and numerous other issues and a five year old girl who has an iron will. 

I certainly don’t like to complain. And I certainly don’t say anything to my husband. He always manages to turn it into a contest “I bet I’m more tired than you are…” He works 65 hours a week these days, but I think I’m still allowed to feel sleepy now and then. 

That’s right, I am TIRED. 

I’m tired of everything not being quite good enough. I’m not good enough for anyone to hire me. I’m not a good enough housekeeper. I’m not a good enough Mom. I’m sure even the pets have their two cents worth to put in here when it comes to rating my goodness. 

I’m tired of arguing. My son can turn anything into an argument. Even breakfast: 

Me: “What do you want for breakfast.” 

Son: “Cheerios. No milk in the Cheerios. And orange juice.” 

Me: “We’re out of orange juice. You can have milk, apple juice, or water.” 

Son: “But I want orange juice.” 

Me: “We don’t have any orange juice. I gave you your choices.” 

Son: “Well can’t you go get orange juice?” 

We live in the middle of nowhere, and I’m standing in front of him still wearing my pajamas and unshowered. Me: Um, no.” 

Son: “MY LIFE IS RUINED! THIS IS THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE! You are so mean to me!” 

He has been up for five minutes…It makes for one long tiring day of arguing. I’m tired of being a mediator and saying sentences like this 1000 times a day: “I’m sorry he breathed on you to try to support his hypothesis, and I’m sorry she tried to lick your nose. Just get along.” 

I’m tired of being broke. I’m tired of my hair not cooperating. What’s a girl got to do? I do an awful lot of work to get my hair to look this bad.

I’m tired of crabby husbands who can’t take a little time each day or even just once in a while to say a kind word and show a wife a little appreciation and love. 

I’m tired of other human beings in my household not eating the food I cook. I wonder why I bother to even attempt to make meals much of the time. 

I’m tired of my phone not staying charged long enough. And I’m tired of forgetting to charge it. 

I’m tired of people not getting that what I do is important, not only as a mom, but as a writer. Just once I’d like someone to say to me “You write? Tell me more!” instead of acting like he or she did not hear what I just said. 

I’m tired of kids television programming, even if it is educational. 

I’m so tired that I don’t sleep. I have to take stuff to help me sleep, but even that has its caveats. It either takes forever to work, or I fall asleep sitting up at my laptop, which I can assure you is not the most restful kind of sleep that you can get! 


So yeah, I’m tired… 

So Moms, I know you love your kids and your husbands, but we’re all allowed to be tired. What makes you tired? What are you tired of? 

Sarah Almond is a freelance writer and blogger who pens the wildly unpopular humor blog The Sadder But Wiser Girl. 


She also is the mother of two adorable future Nobel prize winners and the wife of an Evil Genius. You can read all about her adventures at http://thesadderbutwisergirl.com Bring chocolate, lots of chocolate.

25 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah! I'm tired, too. So so tired. You're right - just because our husbands work so much doesn't mean that we're not allowed to be tired, too! I love this! "I'm sorry he breathed on you" is awesome and such a perfect sentence for a candid look at real life parenting moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm so short with them because I'm so tired, and that's not fair. I love them with all of my heart, even if they do wear me out!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Sarah. I'm very tired too...from writing 3 posts at various places today as well! A little music,now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually slept decently last night, so I'm not AS tired, but still...

      Delete
  3. LOL my mom can really relate to this! What usually keeps her up is the fear that her kids are growing up to fast and how her youngest son (me) is almost done college! I can't help but give as much respect as I can to any mother out there because they do so much for their children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me some Sarah!!! When I was younger with 4 small kids running around, I was always tired and felt like there must be something wrong with me. People would ask me what I do for a living and I would say proudly, "Full Time Mom!" and they would just give me a disdainful look and say stupid things like, "Oh...that's it?" They had NO IDEA how exhausting it is to be a mom. I feel your pain, Sarah. I also think your fatigue comes from stress---I know you worry about many things and that can wear a person down day after day. I am going to pray every night that you win the lottery so you can take an extended trip to Florida and visit me. I promise I will let you sleep as long as you want and drink plenty of pina coladas with me on the beach. I love you girlie--this was a GREAT post and I'm betting there are lots of people out there who are going to relate to this! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some idea before having kids because I worked with infants at a childcare center. There would be days where I would have two on my lap and two at my feet and I'd have to try to comfort all of them! It was nuts! It's much better with two of my own spaced out. But I'm still tired! :-D

      Delete
  5. Yes. This. I hope that you felt some relief by writing down your frustrations. It always helps me shake off some of the gunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every so often I feel like I have to vent and then after I publish it I feel guilty for saying such things and don't promote it like I should! But yes I did feel better after writing that. :-)

      Delete
  6. Totally get this! Totally! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah... I have been meaning to private message you for a little while now because even in your other posts, I could 'hear' all of what you've said in this post. I wanted to tell you that I can relate to being TIRED. My husband works--A LOT! too--and it is often a source of contention between us because he has so little time for ME and for our kids. I often have to give up MY time with him FOR the kids(which really sucks because if you have heard anything about "love languages" mine is 'quality time'):( With all the working, you would think we're rolling in the dough---but, that's where you'd be wrong. With his job change nearly a year ago came for a time, less pay and it took forever for his commissions to come in. By that time, we were SO far behind and getting more and more in debt with each passing day. He got a raise a couple months for so ago, but with the "catch up" -- we are pretty much spinning wheels. Sucks. I cry a lot. And I am tired. My kids are getting old enough and wanting and NEEDING this and that and we are so unable to provide them for them right now. Makes us feel like such losers. I hate my husband's job (and sadly, I tell him that often) and yet, what else can he do around here that pays as much as this one does??? I work part-time and wished I didn't at all (<--I know, doesn't everyone?...what I mean is, is that I want to be home...I am not having time to do all the things I should be, need to be doing at home and my job just sucks up so much of my time even if it is part-time) My job also, lately hasn't been too "fulfilling" and I pretty much "punch the time-card" so to speak. eh... Ok... so, I went into way more than I had intended....but I just wanted to tell you I can relate on so many levels. While everyone is posting their elaborate vacations, we are sitting at home and out ONE outing (which we couldn't afford either) failed (see my Tuesday post). SO freaking depressing. Ok, again, so I went on too long...;) anyway, hugs to you and prayers that you get some relief and some comfort and some peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness I do get so bummed when I see all of the places other people are going and we can't even afford to drive to town! My husband does love his job and it has provided us with a lot of opportunities, but my goodness he puts in sooooo many hours. It makes it hard when we're both exhausted!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like we're having lot of the same conversations in our home. And the whole sleeping thing - I AM TIRED EVERY DAY - even after a night's sleep, because it's never really restful. I have a million things going on in my head about family & work making sure nothing slips thru the cracks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't turn off my brain. It sounds like I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  9. Oh, Sarah, I love this. Beautiful, refreshing honesty. Thanks for putting this into words. I think it is so therapeutic to give voice to the things we are tired of, whether or not we are perceived as complaining. Fantastic post. Maybe not your usual style, but one of my favorites of yours ever. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, I really loved your candor here. And yes I can relate to all of it. Frankly, I was tired of comments from my family about "wasting time" on the "blog thingy" I do. And now that I'm back at work full time, I'm tired of being tired. LOL. I wish we lived a little closer and could hang out. At least misery loves company. I could bring the dinner my family didn't eat to see if yours would, and then I could do your hair and play with your animals. Then, we would end the night by watching Blazing Saddles!! Maybe a road trip is in my future - even if it is Iowa. Illinois is not much better, trust me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for you to come see me. We could hang out and just be grown-ups who like to blog for awhile. Keep it in mind, you know where to get a hold of me! ;-)

      Delete
  11. Wow. Now I know why my mom always looked like she was about to doze off. I never realized what we all did to her. Surprised she did not clobber me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just always think that I shouldn't feel like this, and that I hate feeling like that, but I guess that's just the way it is!

      Delete
  12. I can so relate, Sarah. Thank you for this post and for legitimizing the sentiment behind it. I'm tired too of so many of the same things. I'm tired of no down time, tired of no alone time with my brain, tired of constantly being on a tight schedule and being the one enforcing it. So relatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, we can get together one of these nights and vent to our little hearts content!

      Delete
  13. Thank you everyone for your great replies! It's so comforting knowing I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts