Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Things That Piss Me Off Tuesday - the Eureka edition

40 pounds does not equal 40 pounds
In about the same time frame, a friend of mine and I have both dropped this much weight.  For the record, it's more than our youngest children weigh, and we are both very close to what we weighed when we got married.  FTW.

However....she looks freaking amazing, and I look like I just needed new underwear.  She's all glamorous and tall and thin.  I'm still short and stumpy, just slightly less round.  I'm gonna go run now and find some peace with the fact that my ass jiggles less than it did a few months ago.  That's GOT to count for something, right???

The school district's constant efforts to make me FAIL
My son has a band concert tonight.  At the same time that my daughter has a choir performance.  At different schools.  On opposite ends of town.  This is one of those situations where no matter what you do, you are failing at least one child.  The wonders of parenting. This is truly one of those times that having an only child would be easier...you'd never have some other kid you have to be present for.  Sigh.


I wish the people who schedule this stuff were a little more cognizant of the fact that musically inclined families tend to have more than one musically inclined child, and at least tried to avoid conflicts with the major concerts.

Now, I just have to decide which one of my kids to disappoint.

Vastly different pricing structures online and in store
We went out shopping on Sunday for Christmas.  While looking for a few of the items, we quickly compared prices online to see if we could get stuff cheaper that way.  One of the items was almost $20 cheaper online FROM THE SAME STORE than it was in person.  And they ship it for free.  Can someone explain how this makes any sense to me????

The price checking strategy worked great until the husband's phone died.  Shortly thereafter, mine was flashing at me.  I'm stuck in the middle of the store, arm raised desperately in the air, trying to find a signal to check the price before my battery was completely gone.

Yes, we are those people.

Hey, we have four kids to shop for.  We have to try.

The Eureka effect
You've seen it.  You have read the blogs.  You've seen the posts.  You've rolled your eyes and resisted the urge to make smart ass comments.  I know you have.  Admit it.

You know what I'm talking about. The people who are fairly certain that the invented the wheel when it comes to parenting.  OMGawd, I'm like totally the first person EVER to make this completely commonplace observation.

Potty training is hard???  What???

Those kind of posts.  Yes, we know.  Anyone with a kid knows.  Parenting is really freaking hard sometimes.  Maybe if people recognized the fact that the world is full of people who already know this about life, they wouldn't feel so constantly overwhelmed with it all.  You really don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I promise you aren't the first person who's kid got sent to the principal's office or flooded the toilet or cut their sister's hair or got drunk at a high school party.  I promise.

Ask for help.  Ask for suggestions from those who've been there.  Imagine what a great place the world could be if parents actually helped each other instead of spending their time judging each other.

Here's the fine print about this parenting stuff....are your ready for it???

None of us know what the hell we are doing.
We're all learning.  
It is hard.

And it's not a competition about who has it harder. So stop that.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the rants today and your honesty because that is what makes you so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I look forward to Tuesdays, all because of your rants! Ranty ranty rant some more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think it's a competition. And I'm winning. WINNING!!! WIINNNING!!!!

    The other day, I was at Target and decided to check my phone before buying something. It was $10 cheaper in the store. So that was a bonus. But I really, really, don't understand. Why can't stuff just be out there to buy? I hate feeling like I'm being forced to look for the best bargain in an outdoor market in Morocco, and if I don't, I'm an idiot whose been taken for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word. That's really all I can say. Word, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your weight loss. I feel you, I'm 5 feet tall so no matter how thin I am I'm not . . . Well I'm just short.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts