Friday, December 7, 2012

December Secret Subject Swap


Welcome to Take One of December’s Secret Subject Swap, the first of two this month. This week, 15 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.




Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts. Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

Baking in a Tornado
Follow Me Home
Sorry Kid, Your Mom Doesn't Play Well With Others
My Brain on Kids
Big A Little a
DeBie Hive
The Mommy Chronicles
Sanity Waiting to Happen
Just a Little Nutty
The Insomniac's Dream
Raising Reagan
Chewylicious
Life on the Sonny Side
Frikken Duckie
It's a Dome Life


My subject is “Something I never understood”. It was submitted by Baking in a Tornado . Here goes:

When I first got the email with the subject, I cringed a little.  A lot actually.  Want to know why?

It's because the older I get, the less and less I understand.  I can explain why the sky is blue and where babies come from and the intricacies of our political and economic systems, but I don't understand much, if anything about human nature.

The more I see, the less I know.



I could go on and on and on about the big, huge, important things that make no logical sense in my head, but I won't.

Instead, I'll tell you all about the biggest thing I have no ability to understand even though I really shouldn't struggle with it so much.

You see, I'm a science person.  I love science.  LOVE it.  I think I was more excited than my son was when he started middle school and got a daily dose of science teacher weirdness.  I love order and predictability, I love reason and truth.  Love understanding why cells function the way they do, why these two harmless things will explode when combined, love it all.

Incidentally, you have to know that it pains me to write this. I don't want to admit how little I understand about this subject.  I have kids that truly believe that I know everything, and I really don't want to mess up my hot streak.  Plus, I'm otherwise a very intelligent person.  Until this topic comes up, then I retreat sheepishly to the corner and pretend I can't hear you. La-la-la-la-la.

This thing I don't understand is pretty important.  At it's core, it's also not that freaking complicated.  I know these things.  Honest.  And yet, it makes no difference to me.  I can't comprehend it.

What don't I "get"?

Electricity.

I mean, I can tell you what it is and why it works and how it is transmitted.  I can tell you how it is measured and how much it has changed the world.  I just can't wrap my head around any of it.

Don't understand it.  At all.

You turn on a light switch, and it's like magic in my world.

Poof.

13 comments:

  1. I love Science, but I was the one who took both Physics and Chemistry and never "got" any of it. THe only thing I took away from Chemistry was that entropy was the measure of randomness or disorder of a system. I wrote a poem about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You so had me going. Love your post about love . . um, I mean electricity! I'm so glad you come out and play with me, even if it is only once a month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL my husband is an Electrician and I still don't get how it works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I miss when my kids thought I knew everything! That was SOOO long ago...Nice spin on the topic. Science rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! I'm a science person too, but I stopped trying to understand it all long ago! I usually direct the boys to my husband and handle their grammar problems only!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously. Is it made of fairy dust?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way that I see you in a new light with each new post. You're a freaking fantastic blogger and such a creative person. You're one of my very favorite Internet Goddesses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once had a creepy coworker try to explain electricity to me. He smelled like coffee. That's about as far as I got in trying to understand it. Great blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a super science geek too. It was always my favorite subject in school.
    The crazy thing is...in school! Now..I feel stupid. God help all of us. We grow up and get dumb! I thought we were supposed to get smarted when we got older?
    Older and wiser right? Total crap!

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't understand the internet...never did... lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing. It bothers me, too. I sit and think about the way it travels and how it works and it wigs me out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think in abstract form and could never begin to understand electricity. When I use the word "electric" it is usually to describe a color. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What I understand could fit into a thimble with room to spare...so sad :( And to think I used to think I knew everything! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts