Thursday, November 29, 2012

What Blogging Has Done to My Family and Friends

If you've hung out here for any length of time, you know that I write humor.  This post isn't going to be any different.

I could tell you about all the truly amazing things that have come from blogging.  I could.  I could tell you about meeting some of the coolest people in the entire world or about finally having friends that don't think I'm odd for writing stuff down on napkins.   I could tell you about having a place to air the grievances, about the therapeutic effect of writing.  I could tell you about how goddamn fun it is.   I could tell you about how my daughter wants to be a writer like her mom.

That's not what this post is about, though I guess I already told you some of the warm fuzzies.

This is about the bizarre ways that blogging has affected my family and friends.

My son knows that if I threaten to write about him, I'll make good on that promise.  It works wonders in the behavior modification department.

I didn't swear hardly at all here until after my Dad died, because he read everything I wrote.  Also why I didn't write about boobs or hoohas in the beginning.  I could just see him hanging his head at the computer.  

My father in law knows that I'm going to write about the crazy things he does.  Instead of trying to suppress what he says or does in an attempt to keep it off the internet, he runs home and checks the blog to see if the story is up yet.  

My kids all know that on any given day, mom could be crying or laughing her ass off at the computer.    They also know that she will share most of the inappropriate stuff with them.

My youngest daughter has told many people that I am in charge of the internet.  Many, many, many people.

My husband understands the need to moderate comments at midnight.

My friends ask me pretty frequently to address the issues they are afraid to post about on their Facebook walls.  I'll be your Huckleberry.

Some people freak the fuck out when they realize I have a blog and totally alter the way they act around me.  This entertains me.

A few fans send me stuff that they know I will love.  Things like this.


Nickelodeon has a new show called Dog with a Blog.  My daughter loves this show.  My husband, after realizing that this is a real thing started laughing hysterically.



Then he looked at me, and asked me if I was friends with the dog yet.

Not yet, but I think we will be BFFs soon.

10 comments:

  1. My kids like that show too. My 7 yo now thinks everyone has a blog and asked if he could have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 8 year old asked me if I would let her start a blog. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I am considering it. I can't imagine what she has to say and, frankly, I'm a little scared to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is (supposedly) totally not impressed with my blog, even when I tell him how many DOZENS of people read it. DOZENS I SAY!

    He also SAYS he doesn't read my blog, but sometimes accidentally rats himself out when referring to something I wrote.

    I've never had a fan send me anything, so I'm super jealous of your amazing unicorn skidmark pic. And I would totally wear that as a shirt because I'm totally a grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering who was in charge of the internet! I have some requests if this is true...

    My family doesn't really get into my blog. My Mom does. My husband makes fun of me and rolls his eyes a lot, but he did admit that he reads it. I wonder if the shirtless picture of Chris Hemsworth I posted regarding dishes was what got him to do them last night? If so, I may post more...

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how people assume that something you wrote is about them? Well, if someone in the family pisses me off then yeah, I'm gonna write about it (gotta vent somewhere and the dog is tired of listening to my tirades). My kids almost DREAD the days I put up a post. My hubs, on the other hand, lets me make him the brunt of all my jokes in a Phyllis Diller sort of way. Gotta love the guy for that.
    Glad I just found your blog through Karen @ bakinginatornado. I Like your sense of humor--and I'll be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, love this!

    My daughter is currently obsessed with Dog with a Blog. She wants to start one now too. I could only imagine the shit she'd share!

    Also, some of my favorite moments in life are when she looks at me and says "Mommy, you should blog about this." lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep wondering if that dog is a better writer than I am. I need therapy, right? Just say it. JUST SAY IT! I think blogging has mostly made my family think the computer is actually one of my body parts. I wish my family thought I ruled the Internet. Mostly they just tell me to keep trying and smile kindly like I am a naive little girl. Which I probably totally am :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, this is so perfect! My friends all act differently around me, too. They have this saying about me, "Everything you say can and will be used in her blog." Some of them reign in their antics and some act outlandish, like they're trying to be in a story.

    Also, my boys, they ask me after a lot of things they do and say, "Are you going to write about this?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed reading this! I am a craft blogger, so I don't really write too much about family. I tell stories sometimes and put up family pics and food I want to share. The nieces and nephews love it when I put them on the blog crafting etc. My mom will call and say "I don't remember that", and I have to explain etc.So funny.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts