Friday, November 23, 2012

Things we learned at dinner last night

Did you know that if you brine a turkey, it cooks faster?  This was my first foray into the brining world, and I somehow neglected to read the fine print where it tells you that the turkey will be done an entire hour earlier than you think it will be.  Then, you're going to have only the 20 minutes of resting time to get everything else done.

Do the hustle.

AJ will drink anything out of a champagne glass.  We may start giving him one every night at dinner just to get the kid to drink his milk.  All fancy, now.

My sweet potato casserole is awesome, or at least other people say it is.  I don't eat it.  Ever.  Like my pies. I spend hours making them, then watch everyone else eat them.  Again, I've been told they are delicious, but you're really just going to have to take everyone else's word for it.

We ate dinner around 4:15.  I have one serving of whatever and call it good.  I do not feel compelled, like those around me, to stuff myself completely full with several helpings of everything.  Consequently, I don't feel like taking a nap immediately after eating, and by bedtime I am hungry.  Before heading to bed, I grabbed a piece of cold turkey out of the fridge and sent up a meaty toast to my Dad, realizing this was exactly what he always did.  I'm more and more like him all the time.

People who've known me for any length of time know that if they do something hilarious around me, I'm going to write about it.

Watch out now.

Usually, I change names to protect the innocent.

Not really.

I may not specify which person said or did whatever I'm writing about, mostly out of fear that they'll stop doing funny things in my presence.  Also to preserve their privacy.  Wink, wink.  Sure, that sounds good.  Right?

Anyhow, the comedy relief at dinner came from the other side of the table.

One person (will remain nameless), asked for more wine.  Another grabbed the bottle in the middle of the table from a local winery and poured the wine.

Oooooh, that's good.  

We should go there sometime.

Yes, we should go to Clitoris.

Let's.  Let's go to clitoris.

I managed not to laugh for 3.7 seconds.


4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have made it 3.7 seconds. Too funny! Happy belated Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEE HEE! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a lovely Thanksgiving, despite you having to do the hustle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had a dime for everytime I mispronounced something . . . (why does no one ever finish that sentence?).

    I've noticed my kids will eat things they normally won't eat if it is in a fancy dish.

    I cannot cook things I don't eat, nor am I interested in learning how. Well, I guess that's not true because I do want to make Hubby happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have commendable self control. 3.7 seconds must have seemed like an eternity.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts