Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Twinkie Theory

One of the major stories in the news this week has been the imminent end of Hostess.  While most people are lamenting the fact that the junk food of our youth may go by the wayside, I hear noise coming from people about how this is all the fault of the unions.

How unions are antiquated.

How unions are destructive.

How unions are unnecessary.

How unions are unfair.

Really?  I wonder how many of the people railing against the unions have done their research into how the last few years have gone at Hostess?

This isn't the first time they've filed bankruptcy.  The offer the company presented to the union slashed pension contributions from $100M a year to $25M.  For the same number of employees.  The employees who would have to accept lower wages and a 17% cut in the their health benefits.  The offer issued by top level executives who got 80% salary increases last year, even though the company was failing.  Corporate greed at it's finest, right there.

Yes, let's blame the union.

Let's blame the people for organizing and demanding that they at least keep the SAME pay and benefits without reductions.

Let's blame the delivery guys and truck drivers and bakers working their asses off.

Let's do that.

We'll ignore the fact that everything the company makes is full of preservatives and processed food "products".  We'll ignore the fact that companies like Hostess and their white bread devoid of nutritional benefits have certainly contributed to increases in diseases like diabetes.

This is NOT food.
We'll ignore the fact that people shouldn't be eating this crap in the first place.  We'll ignore the fact that the general public is finally starting to realize that "food" like this is essentially poison.  We'll ignore the fact that they are selling nostalgia, not food.  We'll ignore all that.

Swear to God, I heard someone try to blame the downfall of Hostess on Michelle Obama and her initiatives to get people to eat healthy and exercise.

Yes, let's blame Michelle Obama.  Isn't everything the fault of the Obama family?

Some people sure seem to think so.

I've also heard a lot of people talking about how unions in general need to go away, that they aren't needed anymore.  I wonder if those people watch the news at all.  If they care even a little bit about an impending strike attempt by non-unionized WalMart employees who will almost certainly lose their jobs as a result.

Because in the view of a lot of people, companies like WalMart and Hostess should not be required to pay living wages to their thousands or millions of employees.  They shouldn't be required to offer them health insurance and other benefits.  They shouldn't be forced to contribute to pensions for people who will never ever be able to afford to retire.  They shouldn't be forced to shut their doors on holidays, and should be allowed to force employees to work all hours of the day and night, taking them away from their families.

Think about this while you're elbowing people in the aisles when Black Friday starts a day early, people:  you saving $5 on that piece of imported from China crap that WalMart wants to sell you is forcing those people to work on a holiday for pay barely over minimum wage.

You may want to rationalize it in your head because it somehow saves you money.  That's fine....go ahead and buy into the notion that you have no choice but to shop there.  Just like their employees have no choice but to work there for whatever measly wages they get, then are supposed to be grateful for.  That's exactly what they want you to think.

If you fall for that, you are contributing to the problem.  Unions aren't the problem.  The Hostesses and WalMarts of the world are.

...and Twinkies are gross.

9 comments:

  1. Well said Kelly. Lets place the responsibility for the failure where it belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never a big Twinkie fan. Ho Hos and Ding Dongs were my thing. It's amazing the crap we used to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Well said. I am not a big fan of Twinkies or Wal-Mart either, but I feel bad for all of those people who are going to be out of work and the ones who are slaving away for low wages that deserve better.

    I'm surprised they don't blame the president for it as well. Aw heck, why not just blame the whole first family? I never understood that. I swear they somehow will find a way to blame Obama for Sandy too. Good Lord people!

    Sometimes we just have to admit that greed is ruining our country. The ones that are in that top 1% are the ones that need to quit being in denial and start giving back. I'm sure they could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, Kelly. This is awesome and perfect. It's the blame game. Many Americans want to blame everyone and everything else instead of taking any kind of responsibility on themselves. It's destroying us. So sad. And I hate Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i blame elmo.

    greed is the problem and blame shifting is the tactic.

    sometimes this country makes me sick to my stomach. for that, i blame hostess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we have the capacity for progress when the focus is on blame. There's room in this world for all kinds of businesses, employees and consumers. We need to be able to accommodate each other. And I'm sorry, but every now and then you just gotta have a twinkie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On rare occasion and to the chagrin of my husband, I have been known to sneak into a Walmart to buy Quaker Oatmeal because it's 50% cheaper there than anywhere else.

    I am now done with Walmart. I can't piss off everyone I love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. I was almost scared to read this at first because unions are something I fiercely believe in but I had to know what you thought and once again, I am stunned by how similar our lines of thought are. Thank you so much for writing this piece <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly...what I love about your blogs is the way you THINK about things, then put it into words that make other people THINK. It is no wonder you and my daughter are "sisters of the heart". Great minds think alike! Keeping blogging, and raising those four kids to do as you do...think for yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts