Friday, October 12, 2012

My So-Called Life

I'm not talking about the TV show, as awesome as it was.

I'm talking about this strange little online universe that I'm part of these days.

I've been writing for a few years now, but it wasn't until this last year that I really started making connections with other writers.  Some I've reached out to, others have contacted me.

There is this thing about us all.  This thing that makes us unusual (and dare I say strange) in so many respects, but awesome in others.

We crave the psuedo anonymity of the internet, we share things with other people, we write personal stories, we encourage others to do the same.

We lay it all out there for the world to see, good, bad and ugly.

We open ourselves to all kinds of criticism, we expose our fears and vulnerabilities.  We catch an insane amount of heat from family and friends who take issue with the things we write.

Some of us have to hide.

Some of us, literally, have secret identities.  Write in an imagined world to protect ourselves from those closest to us.

Then one day, someone emails you.  Sends you a message on Twitter or Facebook.  Alerts you to the location of the newest online version of themselves.

Collectively, we have had some amazing experiences.  We've endured incredible heartbreak.  We've lost, we've found, we've endured, we've overcome.

And in this strange little world, we lean on each other.

We cheer each other on when it seems like everyone in the real world tells us we are doing something wrong.  We encourage each other to write the hard stuff.  We support each other.

We share more with each other than the rest of the world.

These people I've never actually met who have become my virtual allies.  My friends.  My co-workers.

We're part of a pretty kick ass secret club, with handshakes and everything.

Love you all.

12 comments:

  1. High fives, handshakes and hugs to you. You're pretty awesome yourself!

    Teri
    Snarkfest

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I really love my bloggy friends just as much as my IRL friends. It's kind of like they understand me in ways my non-bloggy friends can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly....I relate to complete strangers more sometimes than the people right here. We are lucky to have each other. :)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely! You were my first blogger I truly connected to. I've always viewed you as my online big sister. I love you man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between the kids, Josh, our animals, extended families, and graduate school, I rarely have time to get together with my friends in person. I love that social media lets me keep in touch with people. And I equally love that I've been able to meet so many amazing people through blogging. For me, the connections are especially meaningful, because I don't have many friends who are parents yet, so talking to other parents is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange and wonderful to have a community with so many experiences to draw on. :)

      Delete
  5. You are so great! I agree this blogging experience for the last few months has been with such amazing and open people I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun the last months especially. :)

      Delete
  6. Girrrrl... I loved this post almost as much as I love you. You know you are the first non-known-to-me person I've ever friend requested EVAH on fb? You popped my cherry. Anyway, you're great and I don't have to tell you any more than that to let you know how much I value you.

    I have said of you and a few other people I've had the pleasure of getting to know online that you are some of the nicest and coolest people I've never met. I don't know what I'll do when we actually do get to meet... GAH! pretzel necklaces all around! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am putting myself in this club. I think I found you but either way, I am so glad we are friends. You've helped me grow as a writer and as a person in great ways. THANK YOU. <3

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts