Saturday, August 18, 2012

Why moms don't get sick

I'm sick.  The sickest I can honestly say that I ever remember being in my entire life.

I'd suppose that really isn't saying a whole lot though, since I've really been lucky in that respect.  I haven't had any major illnesses personally.  I got chicken pox at the end of 6th grade, and that sucked pretty huge since it caused me to miss out on everything fun that happens at the end of the year.  I had some mystery disease when I was like 5 or 6 that probably was actually mumps since the vaccines they gave kids the year I was born didn't take.  It was ruled out of course because I was immunized.  Right.

When I was a baby, I almost died of food poisoning from a jar of Gerber baby food.   Salmonella.  It's what's for dinner.  Yum.  I don't remember that one though.

This though, this one is kicking my ass.

Part of my problem is that I did what I always do when I get sick...everything.  Moms don't get days off, moms don't get to snuggle up in bed with chicken soup and have other people take care of them.  Moms don't go to the doctor at the first sign something is wrong because there is a soccer tournament or a surgery scheduled or the first day of school.  Moms don't have time to get sick.  So they don't.

They just do everything they normally do, sick.

Usually it works out just fine.  I power through whatever it is, usually so wrapped up in taking care of someone else that I barely notice that I have it too.

Usually.

This time?  Not so much.

I hit the wall, and I hit it hard.  My body said "uncle".  If I don't take it easy, I'll be promptly thrown in the hospital for a little R&R.  So I sit.  And cough.  And sit.  And cough.

In the meantime, the kids are taking full advantage of us.  The parents are out of commission.

Tom, with his foot perpetually elevated, is still pretty hopped up on painkillers.  He can't do much, but right now he doesn't much care.

I, on the other hand, am starting to go crazy.  The house is complete mess.  Getting worse by the day.  I don't have the energy to do anything about it. I don't have the energy to pick up.  I don't have the energy to try and clean. I don't even have the energy to yell at them.  I just don't.

So it builds and builds and builds.

By the time I am finally feeling better, our house might look like the wasteland in Wall*E.  I won't just be trying to clean up, I will be managing mountains of disaster.

I've tried delegating chores to the kids.  Aidan is supposed to do the dishes.  The girls are supposed to do the laundry.  It's painful to watch.  It's taking everything in me not to follow behind them and do it right.  I can't care right now.  I'm too exhausted.

This is why moms don't get sick.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you poor thing. Getting sick truly is a royal pain in the ass. Cause as you say, moms don't get sick.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts