Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I will not enjoy being a girl

It's a damn good thing that men don't have to endure periods and cramps and cracked nipples and childbirth.

The world would be full of one-child households because you can bet your ass they wouldn't go though that more than once.  With time, the survival of the human race would be in jeopardy.

I know my husband would have had voluntarily had a hysterectomy shortly after puberty if he had to bleed every month.

Though I'm glad to be female most of the time, and shockingly really and truly did enjoy being pregnant and nursing, there are times that I'd like to throw in the towel.

Hang it up.

Pick up a Y chromosome at the store.

Right now is one of them, if you couldn't tell.

In truth and fairness, though, my issue isn't so much with my very pissed off anatomy.   Don't get me wrong, I'm mad at my body, and I'm pretty sure it is furious with me.  We aren't getting along well right now.

My issue is with birth control pills.  With the lack of better options.  With the hell we have to put ourselves through just to try and avoid becoming those people with 20 kids and counting.

It shouldn't be like this.  If there is technology to map the human genome, to create targeted cancer therapies, to perform surgery on unborn fetuses, then why can't someone invent better birth control???

The pill, my most current nemesis, is really pissing me off right about now.

My doctor switched me to this one a while back, having me skip the placebo pills to avoid having a period at all since I am anemic.  Which worked GREAT for a few months.

Until I got sick and feverish and started hallucinating and forgot to take my pill for one day.  One flipping day.

My body has been pissed ever since.

It's like all the periods I skipped were waiting to torture me.  I'm on day 13 at this point, with no real good options to get it to stop.  One makes me bleed more, the other loads my system with even more fake hormones.  No guarantees that either will work.

Freaking hormones.

No, I will not enjoy being a girl.

Not at all.

4 comments:

  1. At least BC works for you! I was on the pill when I got pregnant with Trinity (I never missed one and I took it at the same time every day). I was on the Depo shot when I conceived Gabe (about 2 months into the 3 month "safe zone") and I'd had Mirena in for over a year when I got pregnant with Simon. Now, don't get me wrong, I've always wanted a big family, so I wasn't disappointed when I got pregnant. But until we get a bigger house, we can't fit any more. And I'm running out of options!

    I definitely feel you on the anemia/periods thing. That's one of the reasons I went with Mirena (which I LOVED). Mine lightened, then disappeared within the first few months. I felt better on that, both physically and emotionally, than I have in years.

    I really hope it stops for you soon and that you start feeling better! Hopefully you'll find an easier way to manage the symptoms. Hang in there, chica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pill baby too! AJ. LOL I had Mirena for a few years, but had it removed once I started getting horrible cramps. It just made me feel funky. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. I've avoided the pill for years for how badly it screws with my system. Though with not birth control (besides condoms) my periods are starting to kill me and pms is starting weeks before my period even arrives now. I'm about ready to start the dreaded process or searching for better birth control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just refuse to believe that there can't be better options.

      Delete

Some of My Most Popular Posts