Sunday, August 19, 2012

Almost there

I have this thing for Fall.  The last couple days have been a preview of what is coming.  Cool, crisp mornings.  Bright blue skies.  Breezes and bold colors.  The tops of the trees here have started to make the most subtle changes.  It's coming.

I'm not kidding myself.  I know that there are still more than a few days in the forecast expected to be in the 90's.  I know that it will still be hot for a while.  

Those hot days this week will just make me all the more grateful for the change when it comes. 

We've been watching pre-season football, pretending it's as good as the real thing, knowing that it's not.  Soon my Saturdays will involve games saved on the DVR and deliberate attempts to avoid anyone who knows the outcome.  There will be guacamole and homemade chicken wings.  Oh yes, there will be.  

I want to wear sweaters and boots.  I want to invent new soup recipes.  I want the smell of pumpkin to infiltrate my kitchen.  I want to clutch coffee cups on dewy soccer fields.  I want to make hot cocoa for the kids when they come in from playing, cheeks red and fingers chilled.

I want to take pictures.  Oh, the pictures.  Fall is the time of year when I just carry my good camera with me wherever I go.  You never know when you'll see something amazing.


Halloween is just on the horizon to me, though I know that to most people it's well over two months away.  We take this holiday very seriously in my house. Planning this year has been complicated by injury, and we'll have to come up with some adaptations.  Against my better judgment, I think we are just buying costumes this year.  Sometimes you have to hit the easy button, and I'm doing it this time around.  

Let's just say the theme this year is an ironic one given the current state of affairs.  No hints.  I'm pretty sure that I'll never top the last few years anyway, given how high the bar has been set.  

2009 - The Wizard of Oz

2010 - Toy Story

2011- Alice in Wonderland
I've got to start working on this year's costumes.  Only 10 weeks left....

4 comments:

  1. AWESOME. another reason i love you. i love fall too. i am a september baby. late september. like almost october, september.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My allergies are out.of.control for months, but it's a price I happily pay. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Normally I don't loathe summer quite so much as this year, but it's been a particularly hot one. I'm ready for temps to at least be seasonal!

      Delete

Some of My Most Popular Posts