Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Summer School of Rock - Def Leppard

There wasn't a doubt in my mind that Def Leppard was going to be on this list, probably in large part because they were easily my personal favorite rock band of the 80's.

They formed in England in the late 70's and burst onto the music scene here in the early 80's.  They had a unique ability to crossover onto the Top 40 stations with their songs, yet always stayed pretty true to the sound they started with.

We sit on the fence between hard rock and pop.

That, they do.

They weren't just another one of the hair bands that sprouted up when it got popular.
Their best selling album, over 20 million
copies worldwide.
Their video for Photograph was the one to finally knock Michael Jackson's Beat It off the top of the MTV most requested list.

In 1984, drummer Rick Allen lost his left arm in a car accident, but proved quickly that he was just as good, if not better afterwards.

I wouldn't be the person I am today, I wouldn't be where I am now, and I may not have even of been here if not for the accident.  ~Rick Allen

Seven of the songs on their Hysteria album made it onto the Top 100 list, including this one, which is definitely their most popular.  Pour Some Sugar on Me.


If I had to pick my favorite, though, it would be a tie between Photograph, Love Bites and Hysteria.


They are still recording new albums and touring to this day, headlining a rock tour this summer.  They released Mirrorball, their 12th album, last year.  Their die hard fans still chant for the old stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I frickin' LOVE Def Leppard! They were my absolute most favorite band in late elementary and middle school and one of my most favorite in high school! I have loved them for YEARS! I had t-shirts, posters, albums, collectible picture disks, and biographies. I frickin LOVE them! It's hard to chose a favorite song by them, because they are all so great, but some top choices are: Excitable, Animal, Pour Some Sugar on Me and Armageddon It, Rock of Ages, And Bringin' on the Heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! Another Def Leppard fan!!! YAY!!!

    I liked them with Pyromania, forgot all about them, and then loved them when Hysteria came out. I sort of lost track of them after Retroactive but I really should listen to the new stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts