Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer School of Rock - Aerosmith

In the world I live in, I seem to have a direct connection with music, and the cosmic radio gods often understand that.


Late last night as I drove home from the hospital, my most favorite song by this band came on the radio, and I did what I had to.

Turned it up all the way, sang my heart out and cried.

Sing with me, sing for the years.
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tears.
Sing with me, it's just for today.
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away.



It came at just the time I needed it.

I've always loved Aerosmith, and I'm not alone.  It's impossible to have a successful career in music spanning  over four decades without the support of a lot of fans.


They formed in 1970, and were the American answer to all the British bands that popped up in those days.  They wanted to be the greatest rock band that ever was.

Steven Tyler's voice and Joe Perry's lead guitar have meshed together in perfect harmonies for years.  The remaining members of the band, Tom Hamilton, Joey Kramer and Brad Whitford have all been with the band since it's inception or very shortly thereafter.  They've played together for what seems like forever.

Walk This Way, one of their breakout hits, was famously covered by Run D.M.C. in the 80's.


Through the 70's, they enjoyed a ton of success and had a string of platinum albums.  Drug abuse almost did the band in more than once.  Perry left the band for about five years, and neither he nor the band did very well during that time.  They reunited in 1984, but sales were slow until 1987's Permanent Vacation - their best selling album in a decade.  It contained the songs Dude Looks Like a Lady, Rag Doll and Angel.


Pump, released in 1989, was another smash hit and earned the band their first Grammy for Janie's Got a Gun.  Get a Grip churned out more radio hits including Crazy and Cryin'.  The band is widely credited with helping Alicia Silverstone shoot to fame after her appearances in their videos.


Their only number one song was I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, from the Armageddon soundtrack in 1998.

They've played halftime at the Superbowl, and inspired their own version of the Guitar Hero games.  Tyler was a judge on American Idol.  Though there has been a lot of tension between Perry and Tyler, the band is still together, still recording and still performing.  They are currently on tour.

I saw them live in the late 90's, and absolutely LOVED the show.

In their 60's now, and still kicking ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts