Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Things That Piss Me Off Tuesday - The Wednesday Edition

So, it's Wednesday.  Which is supposed to be WTF Wednesday on my Facebook page, but hasn't really been in weeks.  Mostly because of my computer issues, but also because it's summer and all the kids are home and I'm busy all the time.

I didn't write what I was supposed to yesterday either, mostly because I was SO excited to share the story of my son's goal to be the owner of the next internet sensation.  Tuesdays are supposed to be dedicated to the things that piss me off.

Since I sucked yesterday, I'll write about this now.

I'm annoyed, really annoyed with the kind of people who like to have sunshine blown up their asses and expect me to do it. 

Here's the thing.

Sometimes life serves up a crap sandwich, and sometimes you have to eat it.  Venting about it doesn't automatically imply that you are therefor ungrateful for all the things that aren't messed up in your life.  

Sometimes my kids drive me crazy.  Sometimes they bug the ever-loving shit out of me.  Sometimes I want to lock myself in the bathroom.

Sometimes I run out the door the second my husband comes home just so that I can wander the aisles of the grocery store alone.  Without anyone touching anything.  Without anyone asking for anything.  Without any displays being knocked over.  Without someone running off.  Without the obligatory horsey ride.  Without the whining.  Without the crying.  Without anyone fighting about which seat they get to sit in on the way home.

Does that mean I don't love them?  That I wouldn't lay my life on the line in a heartbeat for them?  That I resent being a parent?

Hell no.  

It just means that sometimes it's hard.  Kids can suck the life out of you, and make you count the seconds until bedtime.  And we, as moms (and dads), are entitled to be less than ecstatic about every single aspect of parenting.  Do I adore my kids?  Without question, yes.

Doesn't mean I always like them.

It's bad enough when you get harassed by people without kids about this stuff.  You can brush that off as a you really don't know what the hell you are talking about so, STFU thing.

Everyone has an opinion about your parenting, and about you voicing your frustration about it.  I've been scolded by those who are 20 years or more removed from raising a kid 24/7...which just proves in my head that parental amnesia is alive and well.  Besides, I take it with a grain of salt, especially considering that back in the day stay at home mothers were pretty routinely medicated with methamphetamines to get it all done.  Mommy's little helper, right?  It would be a whole bunch easier to be gloriously happy whilst scrubbing barf out of the carpet if I was medicated.  But I'm not.  So, guess what???  It's just going to suck.

Then, finally, you have the other parents who just can't keep their damn mouths shut.  The ones who live the frustrations every day, just like you do.  Who criticize everything you do, and have no qualms about calling you on your whining, even if they do it all the time too.  They just piss me right off.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I don't chastise you for bitching about your little demon spawn, I commiserate.  Because that is what other parents are supposed to do.  Encourage one another, realize that we aren't on this journey alone.  And that sometimes that cherubic little angel tests your patience in ways you never imagined.

All those blissfully happy parents?

They're either in denial about the reality that raising a kid is hard, or they're just very well medicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts