Saturday, June 2, 2012

Photo Challenge - Day 3

Day 3 ~

Something old.

Sounds simple enough, right?  I'm fortunate to have things in my house from many generations of family.  Things that have been passed down and cherished.  It was actually a little difficult to choose just one.

This handkerchief was my Grandma Doll's.  She never ever left home without one, and usually had a spare in her purse.  It's one of those generational things, where over time the utility of handkerchiefs declined.  People started to worry about germs.  It seems like everything in our world now comes in some disposable form.

Once a staple of daily life, these days they are just antiquated and old fashioned.

My father carried one for most of his life too, and one of my favorite chores (believe it or not) was ironing his handkerchiefs and folding them precisely the way he wanted them to be.

When my Grandma passed away, just a few months after my oldest son was born, it became time to sort through her things and decide what each person should be given.  I asked for these.  I have a few of them, most tucked into my jewelry boxes.

This one, though, the prettiest of them all, is framed.

Beautiful things deserve to be shared.

Every time I see it, I think about her still.

Miss you, Grandma.

2 comments:

  1. I have a few of my Grandma's hankies too... beautifully embroidered and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some from my Great Grandma and I think framing them is such a beautiful idea <3

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts