Monday, May 21, 2012

The very trivial nature of things

I've got issues.  I'll be the first to admit that truth.

Even without the things that occupy my thoughts most of the time, I'd still have issues.  Even if they went away and magically poofed into the air, I'd still be a whack job from time to time.

It's part of the fun that is me.

The thing is, as huge and real and painful and troubling as my issues are right now, in the overall scheme of the things, they really aren't that important.

Nothing in the world could remind you of your relative insignificance more than a solar eclipse.

I really am just a speck.

I'm just one of over 7 billion people inhabiting this world.

This world, even, insignificant when compared to the cosmos as a whole.

It's hard to feel important when the entire world stops what they are doing and stares at a ball of fire at the same time.

And then today, another reminder of how things aren't nearly as bad as they might seem sometimes in my world.

The gift of perspective.

A celebration of a friend we lost too soon, a friend who would probably be my biggest cheerleader right now in my life, knowing all too well the road I'm walking on.  I miss her. I miss her spirit in the world.  I miss her smile and her boundless optimism.

Mostly, though, I just miss her.

2 comments:

  1. I once heard a planetarium show that described us as one speck of star dust. So true and beautiful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you lost your friend and I am so thankful for this post. I needed a bit of a reality check & reading this gave me the gift of perspective. Stay strong & know that even if we are just specks, you make a positive impact on the lives of those around you <3

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts