Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Things That Piss Me Off Tuesday - The Hospital Rant

For those of you who don't know, or haven't figured it out yet, my mother is in the hospital.

She was flown to a hospital almost an hour away from here for a special procedure.  No one was available locally at the time, so there was little choice.  And time was of the essence.

So, away she flew.

And now, with that initial problem still not fully resolved, we have another one.

A larger issue, far more concerning to me than the initial one.

Thing is, no one can do anything to diagnose, let alone treat this other issue at the hospital she's at now.

The reason?

None of the doctors that can help have privileges at that hospital.

Ahhh, bureaucracy.

A patient with a life threatening condition is moved to another hospital for lack of staffing, and now is stuck in a hospital incapable of dealing with the second life threatening condition because of some administrative red tape.

It flat pisses me off.

I've been advocating as best I can, but my hands are tied.  I can't force a transfer, even if she was stable enough to move.  There's no magic wand to wave and get her where she needs to be.

So we wait.  And we hope that by trying to save her in one way, we haven't doomed her in another.
Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a magician.
Too bad teleporters aren't real, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts