Saturday, May 26, 2012

I heart tomotoes

I have a deep love of tomatoes.

I have to tell you this.
My husband isn't a fan, the majority of my kids aren't big on them either.  Then my littlest one, the one I call the nugget, was born.  As soon as he could walk, he'd find me in the kitchen and point at the containers of cherry and grape tomatoes.  He eats them like candy, always has.  When we cut up tomatoes for tacos, we have to shoo him away from the bowl to make sure we have some left for dinner.  Finally, someone who understands my love of the bizarre fruit/vegetable anomaly that is the tomato.

We went to the farmer's market this morning, and I wholly expected to be disappointed.  To find fresh lettuce and asparagus and onions, but not a whole lot else.

Living in a part of the country that can stay very cold well into the Spring, I know better than to have expectations of fresh produce.

That, and even when the produce is in season, a freak hailstorm can take it out in minutes.  Happened last year to a few local farms, unfortunately.

As silly as it may sound, produce has to be one of the things that I miss the most about living in Southern California.

There are good portions of the year where just about all our fruits and vegetables are trucked in from somewhere else.

Then summer hits, and the farmer's market opens and even if only for a few short months, we get to be spoiled by vegetables that grew only a few miles away.

When we got there, I was surprised by how many vendors are there these days.  It seems like the market gets bigger every year, and things like that make people like me very happy.

I've debated doing a CSA, but have always decided against it for one reason alone - I love to check out all the offerings at the farmer's market in person.  I want to smell the vegetables.  I want to see it in person.

So you can all just imagine my delight when we found the booth that sells the things I wait all year for.  The gigantic heirloom tomatoes.  The tomatoes that are so good you build a sandwich around them.  That you just sit and eat whole.

Me = happy.  Happy, happy, happy.

The tomatoes honestly are one of the best things about summer in Colorado.

And summer is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts