Sunday, April 29, 2012

Thank you

I received something yesterday, a gift.  A few actually.

From someone who knows she needs to give me nothing.

I do what I do simply because it's the right thing to do, not with any expectation of getting anything in return.  

And then, this.

A handmade card that forced the tears that had already been welling up inside me to the surface.  A gift card that will only be shared with the giver, whenever it is that we both get around to using it.  T-shirts from another fundraiser that have already been worked into the wardrobes of my kids.  And a plastic bag filled with change.

The bag of change from a little boy who shouldn't know why anyone would need it.  Who shouldn't know that there are many hours of the day when the only options for food and drink come from a vending machine.  Who shouldn't be familiar with the long, sterile hallways I've been walking this week.  A little boy who shouldn't know so much that he does.

A little boy who's had to grow up a lot these past few months.

A little boy we are rooting for every single day.

A little boy with a bigger heart than most adults I know.

He's told me in his own way what I've already known, that he is as grateful for me as I am for him.

In this journey through life, there are people who capture a little piece of our soul and hang on tight.

He's got a bit of mine.

Thank you, Trey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts