Thursday, April 19, 2012

Harshing your vibe

I'm not a hater, even though I've been accused of it more than once.

I love music.  I love all forms of music.  I love the way it speaks to my soul and can communicate the things I sometimes find myself unable to.

Some songwriters, though gifted in their craft, are simplistic.  Some of them write simple, transparent songs with   music that portrays the message behind the words.  Love songs sound like love songs, sad songs sound like sad ones, happy ones sound happy.

I tend to lean the other way though, preferring the artists and the songs that sneak up on you and smack you with a surprise when you least expect it.  The songs that are upbeat and peppy, but the words say otherwise.

My husband just likes a catchy tune.  If it sounds happy, and it seems happy, then it should be happy, right?

He'd prefer the world to operate that way, without the subtle lyrics and hidden meanings.

Every so often, I realize it's my job to burst his bubble.  That new song he's singing constantly, changing his ring tone on his phone to, it's quite often one with a less-than-idyllic message.

Like Foster the People's Pumped Up Kicks.  I'm not sure what he thought the song was about.  It is deceptive, it's got a good beat and it's incredibly catchy.  But it's a song about a gun-toting kid hell bent on getting revenge on those who've tormented him his entire life.  Kinda like Pearl Jam's Jeremy, but less obvious.

He still gives me that look whenever that song is on, like I ruined it for him or something.

I didn't write it.

Honest.

The most recent one I ruined for him is Fun's We Are Young.  If you don't know what the song is about, then I suppose I'm about to ruin it for you too.  The chorus of this one sounds like a true rock anthem, something that huge crowds of people will sing on cue.  It's been featured in commercials, I'm sure it will be in a few movies.  This band had shot to stardom on this song.  It's just a feel good tune about the freedom and joy of youth, right?

Not so much.

It's about a guy who damaged his girlfriend, whether physically or just emotionally, leaving the scar that the guy with the sunglasses at the bar is asking about.  The rest of the song is about him realizing that his confessions are weak and flawed and him hoping that she'll eventually forgive him with time.  

It's not a happy song.

It's about a completely dysfunctional relationship, played out at a bar, while his friends get high in the bathroom.

In his words, "I know that I'm not all that you've got.  I guess that I just thought maybe we could find new ways to fall apart".

Clearly the guy is a keeper.

A few weeks ago when the video came out, I heard a fair amount of buzz online.  People asking why he is beating his girlfriend in the video.  Um....because that is what the song is about.
Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.  

My husband accuses me of ruining songs.  I just think I'm providing a public service.

1 comment:

  1. Anyone who thinks Jeremy is a happy tale needs their bubble burst. Clearly you are just doing society a favor. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts