Saturday, April 7, 2012

Anemia & a f-ed up subconscious do not good bedfellows make

I've been anemic off and on most of my life.  It's one of the things that is awesome about me. 

Super awesome. 
I need more of these bad boys.
When you're struggling with anemia as bad as I am right now to begin with, then your monthly visitor arrives, you can plan to just be completely exhausted.

Which I was already.

Then, the night before last, I stared at the ceiling for a few hours before I fell asleep.  

Insomnia and exhaustion go together a little too well.

I'm not even sure how long I was asleep for, but I was startled awake in a panic.  

Nightmare.  Worst one in a while, and the first time I've had one like this.  I blame the Hunger Games.  I just finished the last book, and the series introduced me to so many new ways for people to kill one another.  Just a tiny bit of that knowledge stirred around with my already f-ed up subconscious, and frankly I am surprised it took this long.  

It took me a few hours to calm down, which is hard to do when your husband and the dog are on opposite ends of the snoring cycle.  Someone was always making some kind of noise.  

I finally calmed down enough to rest and the small boy climbed in bed with me, curled himself up in a ball and laid his head on me.  He went back to sleep almost immediately, while I resigned myself to the fact that I should just give up.

There was no more sleeping to be had that night.

I've mostly recovered, thanks to a 2-hour-long-constantly-interrupted nap yesterday after Tom got home and a full night's rest last night.  I got that eight solid hours as the result of being doped up on Benadryl.  

Whatever.

I'll take it however I can get it.  

I haven't struggled with anemia this bad in over a decade, and I'm getting to the point of desperation.  

I need a nap and a steak.  Stat.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I'm anemic, too, and pregnancy didn't help. These first few days postpartum are rough enough sleep-wise to begin with, without the added exhaustion from lack of RBCs. Do iron supplements help you?

    I really hope you get some rest soon! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh...been there. One way to get your Man to grill you a steak. This easter announce that you are having steak instead of ham

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts