Saturday, March 3, 2012

What brings me joy

I'm strange.

I've never claimed to be normal.

By now, you should all know this.

I'm not in a good mood, and I'm housebound with a sick little boy...so I can't do the things I would normally do to cheer myself up.

About the only thing that always works to alter my mood (aside from vodka, that is), is a good long walk outside, a bench somewhere, and water.

I've been needing some good quality water time.

When I was in college, believe it or not, I actually built time into my daily schedule for it.  I'd set aside at least a half an hour every day, preferably in the late morning or early afternoon, to hang out in my favorite place.  In the middle of campus, between the administration building and the library, is a gorgeous old fountain.  Encircled with rose bushes, it has a concrete rim all the way around it, perfect for sitting in the sun and contemplating life.

I spent a lot of time with that fountain.

I had friends who went swimming in it fully clothed, others who took dares to dye the water colors or pour bubbles into it....but those are other stories for other times.

When we lived in San Diego, it was easy...almost too easy...to get my fix.  Balboa Park was full of reflecting pools and fountains.  The Embarcadero dotted with parks along the waters edge.  Beaches everywhere.  Sometimes I'd find myself driving across the Coronado Bay Bridge just to turn around and drive over it again.

I love the ocean.

I love water.

Don't ask me what the hell I am doing living in a landlocked state in the middle of the country.

Sure, we have lakes and rivers here, but it's just not the same.

I try though.

My favorite places to wander here in town have lakes and streams and rivers of course.  The green way and Sandstone Ranch are fun for the kids.
Sandstone Ranch
I took this picture last Spring on the morning the post I wrote about my father was published and I needed to run away from the computer for a while.  I took all the kids and kicked rocks and drug sticks in the dirt and smelled brand new flowers and watched birds for a while.

A few months ago, I spent all morning here, just after a huge storm had come through.
Steam rising off the water at Golden Ponds
I could sit on that dock for hours I think.

And I should.  

Maybe tomorrow I can find time to steal for myself.  Just me and the water somewhere.  

My soul could use the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts