Tuesday, March 20, 2012

This, I can do

When you know someone going through hell, it often seems like there is little that anyone can really do to help them.

There are times when were seem to be powerless to help.

There are times when there literally is nothing we can do but sit on our hands, wait and worry.  Those times, though, they are rare.

Then there are all the ways that you can help someone, even when it seems like there is nothing to do.

You may not be able to help a family care for a loved one directly, but you can make them dinners and take one thing off their to-do lists.

You may not be able to treat a disease, but you can shuttle kids to and from the places they need to be so that others can do what they must.

You may not be able to stop the pain, but you can swing by the grocery store so they don't have to.

You may not be able to cure cancer, but you can give blood and help someone else fight it.  You can arm a complete stranger with hope and strength.

There is always something we can do, it's just finding that way.
Today, it is this.
I am tired, but happy tired this afternoon.  From the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you that helped, that gave, that supported, that spread the word.

I am reminded yet again of just how wonderful this community is, of how we circle the wagons when we need to, of how we take care of us.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. My family just lost my Uncle to brain cancer. He only had 3 very painful months with us once the doctors found the cancer. He passed in his sleep with family all around on sunday night. Everything that is said here is true, we dont know what to ask for when we need help in times like these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very sorry for your loss. I've been the one unsure of what help I needed, and have taken that experience as an opportunity to pay it forward. I wish you peace.

      Delete

Some of My Most Popular Posts