Friday, March 2, 2012

Pro-Choice

Only my Facebook page earlier this week, I asked if anyone had topic ideas.  I hadn't done that in a while.

I used to ask fairly frequently, but these days it seems like I always have something to say.  

It's not I have more opinions about things now, though.  I think it's just because I care a whole lot less about what other people think these days.  That, and I seem to be living a life that provides me with a never-ending topic list.

One of the responses to my post was a request to share my views on abortion.

It is an election year, after all.  

You know, the time when it seems like half the people in this country make a decision about who should be the leader of the free world based on one already resolved issue out of the millions of potential issues that a President would ever have to deal with.

This year, this subject is actually relevant though, as opposed to most years when it's fluff that politicians pander to audiences about.  This year it could be important.  This year, the fact that this issue has already been resolved by the highest court in the land seems of no consequence.  There are hearings in Washington, DC about birth control.  Undermining abortion isn't a big leap.

We live in a country where, for the first time in a generation, the right to a legal abortion may actually be in danger.

History has shown that making abortion illegal does not stop it from happening.  It only makes it more dangerous.

Women will still choose to terminate their pregnancies regardless of what the law says.

I know women who have had abortions.  

I know women who found themselves in unplanned pregnancies and opted to go forward with the pregnancy.  

I know women who found the inner strength to make the heart-wrenching decision to give their babies up for adoption.  

I've been one of the three.

Having been in that place myself, unintentionally pregnant, I know that I made the right choice for myself.

Having been in that place myself, I would never in a million years presume to tell another woman what she should do with her own body.  

No one else has to carry that child.  No one else has to contemplate the gravity of the options.  No one else has to think about the long term ramifications.  No one else has to be exposed to the possible dangers inherent in pregnancy and childbirth.  No one else has to care for a child with the severe disabilities that can now be diagnosed earlier and earlier in pregnancy.  No one else has to live with the emotional toll that a choice, any choice, has.  No one else is in that pregnant woman's body.

The older I get, the more I realize how little we actually know about anyone else's life, how ill-equipped any one of us is to judge another.  

I can promise you that every single woman who has found herself at this crossroads is a better judge than you are of what she should do.

Let her choose.

1 comment:

  1. I've gained and lost readers when I've expressed more of my opinions recently. That's okay with me. It's much easier to speak my truth.

    Thanks for writing this piece. All women have a story to tell when it comes to sex, birth control, and choices.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts