Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Happiest Families on Earth?

We went to see Disney on Ice last night.

It was the 100th anniversary show, and my first experience with ice skating characters.  I've seen the Wiggles and I've seen Yo Gabba Gabba, but those were regular stage productions.

All in all, I thought it was pretty well done, though I wondered why they spent so much time on certain movies when there were other things that probably should have been included for it to really be a celebration of the full history of Disney.  There was no Steamboat Willie, no Sleeping Beauty, no Mary Poppins, no Peter Pan.

I mean, come on....a Disney show without Tinkerbell?  That just seems wrong to me.

They did hit all the Pixar movies, though, not that it should be a surprise considering these shows really are more about the kids than the adults.

Well, you would think that.

But then I know a lot of people who would totally go to these things even without kids.  In fact, I myself dream of the day someday where we get to go to Disneyland childless again.  I could stand in 2 hour long lines without listening to constant whining and making three separate trips to the bathroom.  I could get a frozen lemonade and actually eat some of it myself.  I could make out with my husband on the Haunted Mansion ride instead of being split up between two cars wrangling kids.

I'd still end up crying watching the fireworks show and feel conflicted about leaving, though....but I've never claimed to be normal.  I am a bit of a Disney freak myself, and I have the Mickey Mouse topiary in my front yard to prove it.

And no, I'm not kidding at all about that.

Mickey gets dressed up for all major holidays and birthday parties.

And no, I'm not kidding about that either.

As you've figured out by now, if you didn't know already, I love Disney stuff.  Which is why I was a little taken aback last night by some of the people in the crowd.

If Disneyland is supposed to be the "Happiest Place on Earth", then shouldn't anything Disney related come with a considerable amount of happiness as well?  One would think so.

It doesn't work that way though, not for everyone.  The vast majority of families were happy to be there, the kids were excited but the parents were reasonable about it.  Jumping and dancing is fine, singing along is fine, but just don't climb into other people's seats or scream at the top of your lungs.

Unless you are a two year old girl and your favorite princess just skated onto the ice....then, by all means, scream away.  Seriously, she was freaking adorable.

It's never the kids that rattle me at things like this, it's the parents.  The yellers.  The angry people.  The ones that are never happy.  The ones that can't just sit down and shut up.  The ones that can't see that they are making far more of a scene than they relatively well behaved children are.  The people who can't seem to absorb the happiness being thrown at them from every angle, who can't just let their kids have a good time.

Why come to something like that if you are going to be miserable and make your kids squirm in their seats?  I don't understand.

It makes me sad for those kids too.

I get frustrated with my kids.  We all do sometimes, of course.  I guess I just think there is something sacred about the Disney bubble.  Kids should get a little more leeway, and parents should give it to them.

The best part about anything Disney since I've had kids has never been about my experience, it's been about watching them experience it.  Seeing it through their eyes.  Living in the world of possibility, where heroes are real and princesses live in enchanted castles.   Though this ice show happened far away from the Magic Kingdom, it was real for those kids last night.

I know one thing for sure after last night....I cannot wait to introduce my youngest to Disneyland.  He's never been there, and  he is going to absolutely love it.

Can't wait.

Squeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts