Monday, February 13, 2012

Things I learned at the Grammy's last night

I am a fan of music.  A huge fan of music.  Always have been.   Probably always will be.

And I love, love, love the Grammy's.

I am starting to wonder at what point I will start leaning towards the oldies stations, the light rock, the kind of music played by stations that cater to the 80's and 90's.  When I'll turn into an old fart who insists that the music of "my generation" is better and stop trying to be cool and current.  I hope I don't.  At least not for a while.

I have a decent amount of friends who've made that transition already.  Who have given up trying to figure out who Nicki Minaj is, and just express shock and outrage when she puts on a show like she did last night.  Incidentally, I have no idea what the point of that performance was myself.  I like her generally, but I really have no clue what that was all about.  Obviously, it was a statement on her views of the Catholic church, but without more investigation I can't really offer any other insight.  Suffice to say, I'm pretty sure she pissed off a lot of people last night.
L.L. Cool J irritated a group of people too, but only because he referred to Paul McCartney as "Sir O.G., my homie".  I'm pretty sure there is not now, nor has there ever been anything even remotely gangster about the Beatles legend.

At least I'm not young and oblivious enough to tweet my lack of knowledge about who Sir Paul is, like all these people.
Adele was magnificent and proved to the world that talent comes in all sizes.  That, and real talent doesn't need back-up dancers and obnoxious costumes and fireworks and light displays.

Katy Perry and Taylor Swift made it clear that if you break their hearts, you're going to end up the subject of a song.

Coldplay demonstrated their deep affection for fluorescent paint and black lights.
The Foo Fighters rocked hard in the parking lot, like every good rock band should.

Jennifer Hudson broke everyone's heart by singing a beautiful tribute to Whitney Houston.
Speaking of divas, I was a little surprised that there wasn't a song tribute to lifetime achievement winner, Diana Ross.  Last year, Jennifer Hudson, Christina Aguilera, Martina McBride, Florence Welch and Yolanda Adams tried to out sing each other during the tribute to Aretha.


I'm proud of Diana for not throwing a diva fit.  She could have climbed up on stage all Kanye-like and demand that she be properly recognized.  Good for you, girl.

Chris Brown performed not once, but twice...proving that if you can sing a catchy song, eventually the industry will forgive the fact that you beat up your infinitely more famous and talented girlfriend. Sadly, I came across a story online this morning about the twitter reactions to his performances.  There are more than a few girls out there who claim that they'd love the chance to be his girl...even if he wants to beat them.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be victims.

Seriously.  What is wrong with people?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts