Tuesday, February 28, 2012

And now, for a lighter subject

I've been fired up for a few days, so I figure I should back off a little.

Just a little.

I've got a working list of topics that I keep, just in case I ever run out of things to write about.  Which like never happens.  I've always got something to say...I just won't always allow myself to do it.  It's probably better that way anyhow.

I've been reminded every day for months about something that pisses me off though.  So, I'll write about that now.  You know, to distract from me writing about the things that piss me off that are of actual importance in this world like bullying.

My makeup was discontinued.

And I didn't notice in time to stockpile it.

First.World.Problems.

I'm sure that most of you out there can relate to this in some way.

I've done battle with my skin since I was about 10 years old.  Acne showed up years before I learned how to do anything right with concealers and creams.

I have spent most of my life dealing with acne, and I've got the skin to show for it.  I'd love to be one of those women who can walk out the door without makeup proudly, but I just can't.  I've never been able to do it.

Whether it's the emotional damage or the literal skin damage, my ego can't do it.

At some point in college, I discovered Clinque.  For the first time, I had a step by step instruction kit for it all. And they had the best makeup in the world for skin like mine.  It took a few tries to get the color right, but I finally settled on my shade.

Anti-aging, dewy smooth make-up in 07 Just Neutral.
this needs to come back.  now.
For years.  Decades even.

Over the years, I tried cheaper foundations when I'd tell myself I needed to spend less on makeup.  I failed every time and always came back to the only one that worked perfectly.

I'd wait until it was free gift time and I'd stock up for the year, rationalizing that if I got a bag of free lipstick and mascara, I could stomach the price of the foundation.

About a month ago, free gift time rolled around.  I checked online to see when it started and realized that there was a serious problem.  My foundation was gone.  Out of stock.   No longer sold online.

I did the next obvious thing (at least for me, someone who used to sell discontinued beauty supplies online), and checked ebay.  There it was.

Dammit.

Clinque replaced it with some "new and improved" foundation.

We all know that "new and improved' hardly ever is.

The reviews were abysmal, with most begging for the return of the makeup they'd also used for decades.

The canned response:  We have no intentions of selling this product again.  Our recommended substitute is ________.  The very product the users had tried in a desperate attempt to replace their much loved foundation.

I don't understand it.  I don't know why companies do this.  Raise the price a few bucks if some ingredient is harder to come by, the die-hards will gladly pay it.

I remember back about ten years ago now when Victoria's Secret did something similar.  They wanted to revamp their fragranced skin care line.  They planned to do away with their most popular scent, Vanilla Lace. Out of desperation, people (myself included) made runs on the stores to stock up (if not for themselves, for someone else).

Once that happened, VS realized they'd made a grave mistake.  It was less than a year before Vanilla Lace was back on the shelves.

VS did it, Clinique can you please do it too?

Pretty, pretty please????

4 comments:

  1. I racked my brain but could not find a similar anecdote on which we could bond. Sorry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara - sadly, no. The bottle I need goes for over $80 on ebay. :( I'll ration and go back to the drawing board. Boo!

    Kelly - I completely expected you not to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estee Lauder did that to me once, and I know they have done it with more products since. Its more than frustrating

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts