Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I love you and all, but...

I do love my children.  But they need to go back to school.  For my sake and theirs, they need to be out of my house for 7 hours a day.

Two and a half weeks is a long break.

Way too long.

Like so far too long that I may be petitioning the school board to knock it the hell off.

It's to the point now where even the kids are asking when they can go back to school.  Apparently, destroying the house on a daily basis then listening to me tell them to clean up their mess has gotten old.  I'm a mean old mom, and I'm no fun.  Who would have known?

Back when I was a kid, you know, when we had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to school (ignore the fact that I was raised in Southern California for the time being, okay?), we didn't get anywhere near this long off school.  We were out the 23rd of December and went back right after New Years.  Usually worked out to about a week and a half.

And yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that I've turned into a crotchety old fart.

I'm sure we managed to annoy the hell out of our parents back then too, but we had a lot less time to do it.  There was a week less to get into trouble and destroy the house.  A week less to poke our siblings and breathe each other's air.  A week less of demanding that the adults find ways to entertain us.

We didn't even have time to get bored of our new toys.

Underprivileged, we were.

Alternatively, I'll just say that my kids are spoiled.

That sounds better.

They go back tomorrow.  I'll be in a much better mood then, for sure.

Can't I just drop them off now?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure the school wouldn't mind if you dropped them off tonight! Hehe. Congratulations on surviving this long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! I am appalled at the amount of time off from school. Thanksgiving, "Winter Break" (so stupid to call it that when we all know it's just PC), etc. You and I never had all that time off! Neither did we have all these constant half days the SV School District mandates. Ughhh! When do the children actually learn? Do they? The latest Acorn sites two SVHS teachers taken out for drug use and one of them also held up a 7-Eleven! Really?! Plus, one is on paid, yep, PAID administrative leave. California-Land of Fruits and Nuts....

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts