Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I'm not a believer

I'm not talking about God, though I have to admit to having had my doubts.

I'm talking about what many around here refer to as damn close to the second coming of Jesus Christ himself.  The savior.

Tim Tebow.

Whatever.

I am not a fan.  I've never been a fan.  I don't anticipate ever becoming one either.

What I think is the true miracle is that he has so many people snowed.  Even the football commentators who really should know better, it seems like they've all hopped on the holy train.

Thank you baby Jesus.

Tebow annoys me, and not just for the religious spectacle he is.  The kneeling and praying is just so contrived, I'm sorry.  I totally don't buy it.

And I don't for one second believe that God roots for Tebow.  Or the Gators.  Or the Broncos.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that God has bigger things to occupy his (or her) time with than football.

Besides which, I've heard more than a few people question how Tebow can be such a religious man, when he spends every Sunday playing a game for millions of dollars instead of worshipping his Lord.

Oh, that's right, I forgot.  If he prays enough during the game, he's good.

Those pesky rules about things, they are so very flexible when they need to be, it appears.

Honestly, though, the thing that bugs me about him the most has nothing to do with the religious stuff.  It has to do with the fact that he can't throw the damn ball.  And he's a quarterback.

Every time he does, I cringe a little.

If there's a real time for prayer when he's in a game, it's when that ball is in the air.

Thankfully, he doesn't throw much.  Which is good, because he's terrible at it.  He runs instead.

Thus far, it has worked.  But it's worked only because the other teams in the NFL no longer structure their defenses to handle option quarterbacks.

And there aren't option quarterbacks in the NFL anymore for one reason.  They get hurt.

The highest paid player on your team, the one you are now re-organizing your entire offense for, is a moving target on the field every single play.  It's just a matter of time before the other teams realize he's only running the ball, and start blitzing him on every down.

And once they do, he's going down.  A lot.  And he's getting hurt.

Here's the thing.  Hurt quarterbacks don't play.  They don't win games in the last 2 minutes.  They don't inspire a desperate city of fans.

He might be the savior now, but he won't be for long unless he can learn to throw a football.

If he can do that, I might believe.

But the kneeling will always annoy the crap out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts