Thursday, December 15, 2011

Brace Yourselves

For most of the school aged children in the country, tomorrow is the last day of school before the holiday break. Which most likely means that any mom of said school aged child has been running around like a chicken with her head cut off all week.  Tomorrow, the culmination of the crazed attempts to squeeze it all in is upon us.

The school parties are coming.

Brace yourselves.

I appear to have set the bar way too high in the past, and my children expect demand that I perform at that level.  Which I'm completely not in the mood for right now.   I have absolutely no desire to do the things that they want, but I will.  Dammit I hate it when I've been a good mom in the past and have to live up to it.  

In my kitchen right now, four trays of double batch brownies awaiting morning.  The meticulous cutting and frosting and decorating, I'm not looking forward to.  You see, last year I couldn't just be content to make brownies and call it good.  No, no.

I made these.  Over 120 of them.
I have, you see, a special kind of crazy.

I suck in just about every other aspect of my life right now.  Christmas gifts are nowhere near done, nothing is wrapped, I haven't shipped the things that need to be sent far away, I didn't get the teachers gifts yet and doubt I will be able to before the New Year.   I've flaked on almost everything too.

So, I'll do this.  And I'll pretend that I don't hate it.

Maybe it will make up for my suckage elsewhere.

Then tomorrow, I'll carry my huge trays of obnoxiously decorated brownies to school, chase my belligerent three year old from room to room during the parties, and avoid almost everyone except the people I can commiserate with in the back of the rooms.  You know who you are.  We'll sit back and laugh at the serially overachieving moms while we lament the fact that it's frowned upon to drink in public schools.  

Seriously though, these marathon school party days would be far more tolerable if someone set up a bar in the parking lot.

As chaotic as tomorrow will be, I'm going to enjoy every single second of it.

Anyone want to guess why????

Here's why: At least they'll still be at school tomorrow.  After that, they are home two and a half weeks.  18 straight days of joy, half of which are after Christmas.  We all know what that means...the looming threat of telling Santa they aren't behaving will have expired.

The halos encircling their little cherubic heads will vanish magically on the morning of the 26th.

We've still got 10 days of threats.  Use them wisely, enjoy it while it lasts.  And, more importantly, enjoy the last hours of freedom you may be getting in the morning before sugar induced chaos is unleashed.

1 comment:

  1. You DO have a special kind of crazy. And I love it. Haha. Good luck getting your baking finished! Here in Kentucky, the norm is to keep kids in school as close to Christmas as is possible without interfering with too many people's travel plans... Most elementary and high schools go until next Wednesday. I don't envy you that long of a break, although I'm sure your kids will love it. Encourage them to enjoy the snow and have lots of hot chocolate on hand!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts