Wednesday, November 9, 2011

You had me at rooster

I wrote about the Duggars yesterday, and mentioned on my Facebook page that I was writing about "that news story".  Most people figured I'd be writing about them, but my brother had to go another direction entirely, pointing me to a very different news story.  Bless him.

I bet he never in his wildest dreams thought that he'd eventually become an accomplice to my writing.

In case any of you wonder where I got my twisted sense of humor from, it's genetic.

For as long as I can remember, and probably a long time before that, it's been the case that most people think the legal system in Mexico is rampant with corruption.    There were always allegations of bribes.  Stories about people being hauled off to jail with no justification.  Fears about being pulled over by impostors.

Growing up in Southern California, kids were always warned about the dangers of crossing the border into Tijuana to party.   The gangs and the drug lords and the human trafficking were all bad enough on their own, but you also had to think about the fact that the police there didn't always seem too concerned about the "protecting and serving" of the people.

Easy targets, those clueless American teenagers.  The allure of shady nightclubs and bars full of sweaty college students, I never did understand.  I did my underage drinking on this side of the border, thank you very much.

I knew a lot of people that went down there to party though.  I even know a few people that have actually seen the donkey show.

True story.

When my brother told me about this news story yesterday, I was immediately intrigued.

Any international news story involving roosters is going to get my attention.

According to news reports, the men's jail in Acapulco was swept for contraband this week.  Trying to see if anyone had managed to sneak in drugs or other illegal items.  What they found, though, was far more interesting.

In no particular order:
- Drugs!  Shocker, I know.
- Weapons.
- Over 100 televisions (not allowed)  Seriously, we didn't notice those!
- 25 women, 19 of which were prostitutes.  The rest were female inmates.

Yes, these were found inside the jail.  WHERE exactly are you going to hide a TV to smuggle it in during a visit?  Just wondering.  As if that's not bad enough, here's where it gets weird.

They also found a few peacocks and over 100 roosters.
I'll be your Bubba.
I'll just go ahead and ask the question for you: What the hell?????

I'm not even sure I want to know why to be honest.  Some questions just don't need answered.  You can read the story here if you don't believe me.

In case you were wondering...all those stories about corruption...I'm gonna guess there's a hint of truth there.

Just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts