Wednesday, November 23, 2011

In defense of big families

I've had a lot of time to think about this lately.

There are all kinds of reasons to only have a couple kids.  Money, space, sanity.

I'm not intending to diminish the importance of those reasons at all.

I am just at a place in my life where it would be better to have more siblings.  More people to lean on, turn to, need.

This is more a long term, big picture argument.  Preparation for the what ifs in life.

I'm eternally grateful that I'm not on this road alone, that I've got my brother to drag along with me.

I do have to admit that there is a piece of me right about now that wishes there were more of us.

At the same time, I'll obligingly deal with the challenges of parenting my herd of children if it makes things easier for them later on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm adopted through a completely open adoption, and I grew up with frequent visits with both of my birthparents (and, as I grew, their new spouses and children). I was raised with a brother and sister (also adopted, and all three of us have different biological parents), but I have siblings by both my birthmom and birthdad. I love all of my siblings, and at the same time, I think it was probably easier growing up with just a couple of them under the same roof. Especially since my brother had a lot of issues. :) Still, I want a big family of my own for the same reasons you said.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts