Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wonder

I've professed my love of someone on Facebook a lot lately.  Adele.

I'm not the only one, obviously, since she is selling out concerts and winning awards and all the loveliness that comes with being wildly successful.

From the moment I heard her voice for the first time a few years ago, I had a feeling that she was going to be a huge star.  There is something so deep and soulful in her, something that is difficult to capture in words.  You just have to hear it to understand what I mean.

I'm at a place in my life where, for a few different reasons, music is no longer just music.  Movies are no longer just movies.  Characters in novels aren't just characters anymore.  Things that used to exist in my universe before purely as fictions and entertainment are now reflections of my reality.  They speak to me now, in ways that I never could have anticipated.

At the top of that list is her.

I wonder a lot of things about her.  She's written most of her own songs, and almost all of them are stories taken directly from her life or the lives of those close to her.  She's young still, only in her mid twenties, and I have to wonder how much pain she has already endured in those years.

I wonder who did these things to her.  Who broke her heart the way it so clearly has been?  How, at such a young age, has she experienced such great loss already?  How has she been able to take those feelings and channel them into such beautifully haunting music?

If you're not a fan yet, I urge you to listen to her.

There aren't many of us who can't relate to at least one of her songs, who aren't immediately taken to the place of the raw emotions she speaks of.

I wish I didn't feel her pain, but I will be forever grateful for her music and her presence in my life when I've needed it.

Music isn't just music anymore.

2 comments:

  1. http://youtu.be/jQX0qS_wHP4 -- =) just a little clip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie Makulilo I will be very happy when our time of depression ends, too. Ernest has applied for over twelve thousand professional jobs and nada. Plus, we're doing his Green Card stuff. Someday, my meds will work and we will not live on state aid, nor with my parents. I would love for Ernest and I to be able to counsel engaged couples. That would open some eyes... praying for you and thank God for children who make us smile and laugh! P.S. my Dad taught Benedikt to roar like a lion, waaaay too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts