Monday, August 1, 2011

Follow the Arrows

Yesterday was a good day.

Any day that starts the way mine did is destined to be fantastic.

I drove the kids down to catch the end of Tom's tennis tournament.  He's been in a league now for a couple years and his team does well to get into the district tournament.  It's good for him to get the push for competition, especially since he's already signed up for the Denver Marathon again.

And he loves to play tennis.  But as much as he loves to play tennis, I secretly want to tell him to throw the matches in the tournament.  Do good, but not too good.  We don't want to drive to nationals.  ;)

I couldn't have timed it better.  We got there just at the end of the match, found seats beneath a tree.  He only played just long enough for the kids to get a sense of what was going on, but not get bored.

It was hovering just below 100 degrees.

We headed out for lunch, then I asked the question that he knew was coming.  The question that he was dreading.  The questions he was hoping I would wait to ask for a few weeks at least.

How much further is IKEA?

You know, the IKEA that opened this week.  The only one in at least a 6 hour drive.
Isn't it beautiful?!?!
It was only about 10 minutes further.  I told him we should just go.  I didn't think it would be as crowded as people were afraid, because so many would be scared by the potential crowds.  Most people with any sense at all are waiting a few weeks before heading down there.

But we were so close.  We should just go.  Right?

It actually wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be.  We parked right away, only had to wait about 20 minutes to get in.  There were a lot of people, but it was organized well.

And we laughed at the IKEA virgins.  Those who clearly had never been in one and just didn't understand what you are supposed to do.

There's a reason there are giant arrows on the ground.  Wink, wink.

We got the stuff home and assembled, then had to go pick up Tom's car since he'd carpooled down to the tournament.  The kids were home with Grandma.  On the way, we stopped for a drink.  As I parked the car, the thunder clapped and the rain came down.  We ran to the restaurant in the pouring rain.

And the day ended as it began.

Just the two of us.

I'd have to say it was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Fun! I'm so glad you got to enjoy IKEA. Now you've got me excited about going. :)

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts