Monday, August 22, 2011

Disconnected

In this crazy fast paced world, it seems that we are always reachable.  That there is never a time to shut it down, turn it off.

With the constant connection comes inevitable distraction.

The inability to ever be fully connected to anything else.

Your hand always reaching for your pocket or purse, the constant glances at the phone.  Texting at the dinner table.  Ignoring the clerk in the store because of whoever else you're talking to.

We are connected, but we aren't at all.

These days, there are so many of us that don't even wear watches anymore because we don't need to.

Phones do everything.

They keep us tied to each other, they make up mobile photographers and videographers.  They give us constant news updates.

They can be a lifeline in times of emergency, a map in the times we are lost.

It's a wonder we ever survived without them.

Or is it?

You see, I have a phone.  Just a phone.  It's not a smartphone.  It takes grainy pictures at best.  I can text, but there is no internet access.  No apps to keep my children busy in supermarket checkout lines.

Someday I'm sure I'll get a smartphone.  I'm not in as much a hurry as you might think.

Yesterday I was reminded of what life used to be like.  How simple it was.

We took the kids to the pool for the entire afternoon.  Just a blanket and some towels, a basket of sandwiches and apple slices, water bottles and sunscreen.  No one there we knew.  No one we were supposed to meet.  No other place to go.  Nothing we had planned.

And no phones.  Both our phones sat idle on the kitchen counter at home.

No checking pockets, no incoming texts, no baseball score updates, no newsfeed, no Facebook, no calls.

No contact with the outside world.

Just us, the sun, the water and our little bubble.

It was pretty fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. I've been leaving my phone at home as much as possible. It's been wonderful. I've also been neglecting my blog and Facebook, which I feel semi-guilty about. But I have to admit, the break has been nice.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts