Sunday, July 31, 2011

Own It

A while back, sometime into the photography challenge, I wrote about my own personal challenge.  The promise  I made to myself that I would do something small every single day for at least a month.

In my case, I promised to put eyeliner on.

I know that it sounds silly, but it's simple.  My eyes are by far my best feature, and just the little bit of extra attention makes me feel beautiful.  Makes me feel more pulled together.

It really doesn't take much.

I've kept it up past the month.  And I've started doing other things for myself.

I've had more than a few conversations with friends lately about this topic.  About how even though you might not be at exactly the dress size you want to be, or how those fine lines are starting to show up, or how your hair never does what you want it to, you have to own it.

Be comfortable in the skin you are in.  Embrace who you are right now.  Love her.  Deem her worthy.

Don't wait for 10 more pounds to disappear, or insist that you should only wear your hair in a ponytail until you get rid of those grays.

This isn't to say that there isn't room for improvement in the physical realm, there almost always is for anyone. But just because you may not happen to be the most ideal version of yourself doesn't mean you are less than perfect.

You are perfect because you are you.

Remember what your best assets are and flaunt them.  Dig that outfit out from the back of your closet.  Wear the shoes.  Put on the eyeliner.

You are you.  And you are beautiful.

Own it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this. I really needed this today. And for the record, I think you're absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like, like, like! You hit the nail on the head, Kelly! Now, I need $ to buy clothes that fit me....only have a few things I can wear...at least I have that.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts