Thursday, July 21, 2011

An Open Letter to the Online World

Dear everyone,

I just figured that I should let you all know what I've been up to lately.  You know, since I haven't been around here hardly at all.

I mean, really.....I've barely been online for weeks now.

I haven't been reading the blogs that I've religiously followed for years.  Some yes, but not all.  And those that I have been reading, I haven't been commenting on a bunch.   I haven't been perusing my typical lineup of online discount sites on a daily basis.  I haven't been on and off Facebook all day and night like normal.

I haven't submitted anything to anyone in weeks. I haven't worked on my book hardly at all, though I am starting another one.  Yes, another one.  I haven't been marketing myself in all the virtual ways that I had been prior.

I've taken a deliberate step back and away from the computer.  Not because I don't love it and love you all and love the connection to those both near and far, because I do.  Not because I have a case of writer's block, because I don't at all.  In fact, that saying of mine that I have no need to write fiction because my life is so over the top insane is more true today than ever.  A material shortage isn't the problem.

Oh no, it's not.  Trust me.  I couldn't make this stuff up.

I've made a choice to limit the amount of time I am here.  To maximize my time online, to limit myself.  To stop looking over the top of the screen and watching life happen.  To stop trying to multitask all the time.

The real people, the living and breathing ones in my house, they need me present.  All of me.  Not just part of me.  Not just the part of me that isn't distracted.  Not just the part of me that isn't involved in a chat conversation with someone far away.

I am not walking away from the computer so much as I am walking towards them all.

School will come soon enough, I will have more time to write.  The computer can wait.

Right now, I need to be disconnected a little from all of this in order to reconnect with my life.

I'll still be writing here every day, just like I have been for the last few weeks.  I'll pop in on Facebook from time to time.  But all the rest of the time, the computer will be shut off and put away.

Thanks, everyone, for your love and support.

xoxo

Kelly

1 comment:

  1. I need to do this same thing! I've been spending so much time inside because of how hot it is (toddlers don't like 115-degree weather), and it's been an excuse for me to spend more time online. It's time I stepped back from the screen, too.

    "I am not walking away from the computer so much as I am walking towards them all." Perfect. Just perfect. Enjoy spending more time in the here-and-now of real life!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts