Thursday, July 14, 2011

Learning to say no

I have a problem with telling people no. 

Most people, anyway.

There are days that it seems like that is all I ever tell my children.  The days when I even get tired of the sound of my own voice.  The times when I swear I might as well be just talking to the wall. 

But with other adults?  That word rarely appears.

Guess what?

I'm learning to say no. 

I need to stop trying to do everything.  I need to stop helping everyone else.  I need to stop going out of my way all the time for others and sacrificing my own needs at the same time.

I need to focus on the important things.  I need to be able to enjoy the time I have with my children and husband, instead of constantly worrying about what we need to do or where we have to go.

I need to spend more time worrying about what is going on in my world than everyone else's.

I have too much work to do here at home.  I have too much at stake.  Too much to lose.  Too much that is important and real.  Too much that is mine.  Too much that I am not willing to give up.

Too much that I'm ready and willing to fight for, whatever it takes.

In order to do that, I have to be able to put myself and my family ahead of everything else.

I'm learning to be selfish.

I'm learning to say no.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I have a terrible time saying no to people, too. I'm still a pretty big pushover, but I'm trying to speak up more.

    I don't think it's being selfish to take care of yourself. And if you're too busy helping everyone else all of the time, you won't have time or energy left for YOU. You've been through a lot lately, and you deserve to focus on your own family, your own life, and your own interests. Don't let other people take that from you!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts